Chapter 36

Colin's POV

FLASHBACK

            "Some lousy shit you pulled on me," I lace up my cleats at Cam's locker, I'm late and everyone is ready for drills. "You said you'd wake me up this morning," I'm breathing hard trying to put on my shit and talk to Cam at the same time. As a fuckin sophomore I have my shit together, I don't have seniority but I want to start, hell I need to. Coach doesn't like lateness.

                        "What bruh?" Cam's eyes are glazing over; he's looking right past me.

            "You said you'd wake me up, and that you'd give me a goddamn ride to the stadium. I fuckin sprinted from half way across campus!" some players stop when they hear me yell, I glare at them and they keep going.

                        "I tried waking you up Colin, you didn't want to," Cam puts his headphones in and shrugs, walking towards the door leading into the main part of the stadium. Freshman year Cam and I had been close, but after I started getting attention he changed. Coach liked me, a lot. He didn't show Cam the same attention. But the way he was acting lately was fuckin unbelievable. After I finish lacing up I jog out to the stadium as well, joining the team for practice on the field.

            We separate into position drills, and I do my best to ignore Cam. He fuckin pissed me off. I think about slamming his shit but decide not to. I can't afford getting suspended, not with season coming up so soon.

            "Ay yo Colin!" players huddle around me waiting for our turn to go into the drill.

            "What's good bruh," I say, tightening my gloves.

                        "Nah, what's good with you bruh. I see you about to be starting, and getting all the girls. Nupe style." Taylor, a junior is standing in front of me, throwing a ball into the air. I shrug my shoulders and do a little dance. Him and the boys laugh. "But for real tho, what's good with that party tonight? You got any of that good good?" I nod my head, watching Cam run out into the field for a catch.

            "Yeah, I do. I won't charge you though. Tonight, it's all-free. Party at the house my dude," the boys holler as I head out for my turn in the drill. I keep my eyes on Cam, glaring at him as I run out, twisting and turning to catch the ball. I'm flawless, and I fuckin know it. I head back into the line and get ready to throw. Cam came in as a quarterback too, but his skills were never really up to par. Coach moves him around a lot, but I know where his heart is. At my spot. I smirk at Cam as he watches me warm up my arm.

            Drills go on and we line up, Cam's on the opposite side and I'm at quarterback. I feel power in my hands, in my wrist; I always do when a ball is about to come into my palm. At the snap I jump back, looking for someone open. In the clanging of helmets I feel a surge and throw the ball straight to my target. It's a glorious practice, and I forget about my shitty morning. As practice nears a break, I grab the ball during the last snap, jumping back and trying to position myself to see someone open. Before I can react something slams into my knee from the side, and I feel a sharp pain shoot up my leg. Coaches whistle blows and I feel my back hit the turf. Fuck. I sit up, grabbing my leg. Cam is standing over me, a smug look on his face. Motherfucker. I reach up to knock him out but the trainers come between us before I can, each one grabbing me by an arm.

            "Hold still son, we'll have to get you to checked out." I hobble back towards the stadium, turning back to glare at Cam. He did it on fuckin purpose, and I know it.

Vera's POV

The water boils and I pour it into Colin's coffee cup of honey tea, my hands shaking. I look back over to my phone on the counter, wondering why I'm so scared to text her back. I snatch it back up again, opening Trish's text message.

What do u want? I finally reply. She responds quickly.

             Vera, dear, I just wanted to meet with u. If that's ok with u of course.

What. The. Fuck.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound impolite. But why the hell would I want to with meet u. 

I can't help my forwardness, and before I regret it I remember that she's a conniving bitch who is trying to steal money from my man. My man. Suddenly I'm fuming over Colin's cup of tea.

            "Vera?" Colin calls me from my room. I mix a little bit of sugar into his tea and put my phone into my pocket, heading over to my room.

                        "Sorry baby, I had to boil water for your tea." Colin is sprawled across my bed, shirtless and in his boxers. He jumps up to grab his tea, taking a few sips of it. I hear him sounding congested and put my chin onto his shoulder.

            "Are you okay?" he asks.

                        "I'm fine, I just hate to see you sick."

            "I'm fine, as long as I'm with you," Colin sets his cup onto the ground turns to wrap his arms around me, kissing my nose and then my forehead. He looks down at me with watery eyes. Even when he's sick he's absolutely sexy. "Man, I wanna fuck you so bad right now," he leans down to envelope me into a kiss, but I hold a finger to his chin, stopping him.

                        "No. No, you need to rest. Go ahead and lie down and I'll rub your feet."

            Colin lets out an irritated sigh but listens. "You're lucky I love you," he says, "otherwise I wouldn't listen to you." I smile at his words and rub his feet, listening to him fall silently to sleep.

            My phone vibrates as soon as Colin starts to snore. I reach into my pocket to grab it, opening another text from Trish.           

Be careful little lady. I am not the one.

This bitch!

                       Fuck you Trish. Don't text me again. I reply.

 I lock my phone and put it onto the ground, curling into Colin's arms I fall asleep against his chest, dreaming of his warm kisses.