Chapter 54

Colin's POV

Dialing my agent, I scan the parking lot trying to find my rental car. I left the training facility as soon as Becca called. Training would have to wait. 

            "I want the first flight out of Arizona, I don't give a fuck how much it costs, I don't care if I have to take a damn jet out of here. I need to get to San Francisco, now." My agent doesn't even have time to respond before I hang up.

 Vera. Vera. I keep repeating her name to myself. Vera. Please. Vera.

Vera's POV 

 We both get into the car and sit in awkward silence.

            "What's wrong?" Cam asks. His voice is soft and warm, a blanket I want to curl up in amidst all the chaos. I hesitate. Should I trust him? A big knot in my chest forms as I start to cry once more, my body heaving as with jagged heavy breaths. That same tsunami sweeps me up again, and I'm lost in tears. Before I know it I feel warmth, and I let myself cry into Cam's arms. It's a relief in this time of vulnerability.

            "It's okay Vera...It's okay," Cam gently pats my back as he holds me in the front seat. After what seems like an eternity, I sit up, turning away from Cam, feeling embarrassed. I look horrible. Catching my breath, I try to figure out what to say.

            "You can trust me Vera, you can tell me anything. Just vent," he says. I nod slowly.

                        "Colin, just...he....I found a sex tape."

                        Cam gasps.

                         "I know, I was shocked, and I watched the fucking thing. And....it hurt," I say slowly. Hurt is an understatement. 

                        "It hurts because...I gave him my heart. I gave him every part of me, I didn't hide things about myself that I didn't like. And he's doing drugs on the tape! And beating the shit out of some guy!"

            "Wow.." Cam takes it all in.

                        "I love him. I love him so much, and that's what hurts me. But I don't think I can marry someone I don't really know."

            I look down at my left ring finger, now bare.

            "I can't believe you found a sex tape of his...and watched it. That must have been so hard for you."

                        "It was! I haven't stopped crying since. And I refuse to talk to him, but I know eventually I have to."

            "You haven't talked to him yet?"

                        "No. I'm ignoring his calls."

            "Well, I'm always here for you if you need someone to talk to. I want you to know that." Cam puts his hand on mine. The feeling is awkward, but good. It's good to have someone to confide in, especially since Leah is gone.

                        "I really appreciate it Cam."

            "Colin has always been the partygoer, promiscuous type."

                        "Yeah?"

            "Yup. Since college. That's why when I saw him with you I was a little worried."

            I move around uncomfortably in my seat. It feels wrong to be in such a tight space with Cam, but then I remember I'm not really with Colin anymore. Right? I try to reassure myself as Cam moves in closer.

            "He had girls every night in the frat house, he smoked a lot of weed, and took a lot of drugs."

                        "So it was that bad huh."

            "It was horrible."

                        "Wow."

            "He treated Trish badly because of his use, he even cut off our friendship because of it."

                        "He never told me any of that."

            "Yeah, it got pretty ugly. I wouldn't want to tell you about any of that either."

I sit in silence thinking about Cam's words.

            "Vera, I know it seems like the end of the world now, but things will get better. And I mean it when I say, you deserve so much better than Colin." Cam's voice softens as he leans into me, moving strands of hair away from my eyes.

            I look up into his brown face, his handsome features. His body frame is much wider than Colin's. His face moves closer and I feel tension, but it isn't the kind of tension I want. Not now. I turn away.

                        "Cam, I'm sorry. But I can't. This isn't right," I say slowly. He backs off.

            "I understand, I'm sorry for comin onto you like that."

                        "I gotta go."

            "Are you abouta to go home? Is Leah there?"

                        "She isn't."

            "Nah, you can't go back to that empty apartment. Let's go somewhere to eat."

                        "I don't know..."

            "Let's go eat and try to get your mind off things. After, you can drop me off here."

                        "Okay, I guess," I say reluctantly. "I don't feel like driving though, so can we take your car?"

            "Yeah, I'm parked a few aisles down."

After we find Cam's car, he takes me to a good burger joint. We eat, enjoy milkshakes, and he takes my mind off the stress I've been feeling the past few days. Cam is so light hearted, easy going, and easy to talk to. It's a wonder he isn't married. After we've stuffed ourselves we talk. I vent to him some more, and he gives me a listening ear.

            "I think I'd better get going," I say, noticing nightfall outside. The sky has turned to a dim gray, close to sunset.

                        "Ok, I can take you straight home if you'd like."

            "Yeah, I'll just pick up my car tomorrow. Leah left hers at the house. I'm tired anyway."

            We pile into his BMW and I show him the way to my apartment. Things seem to finally be getting a little better. My chest feels a lot lighter, and I feel more relieved after finally being able to share with someone exactly how I feel.

            As soon as we pull into the parking garage Cam turns into a spot near the elevator.

            "I can walk you in," he says.

                        "No, don't even worry about it."

            "Girl, I've seen way too many horror movies. There's no way I'ma let you walk in there alone."

                        "Fine, but no funny business," I laugh.

            We take the elevator up, and I can't help but feel a little queasy. Something doesn't feel right. When we finally get to the door I fumble for my keys in my front pocket. I open the door and enter in, followed by Cam.