Chapter 26

Vera's POV

            "Let's go to the carnival," Colin says. He sits in my armchair in the living room of me and Leah's apartment, looking like an adult trying to squeeze into a child's chair. I stifle a laugh at the sight of him, he's way too adorable.

            "I don't really have any clothes for the warmer weather," I say, pointing to my sweats hoodie.

            "Let's go shopping then," he says, sitting up. I crinkle my nose. Shopping is one of Leah's favorite past times, definitely not mine.

            "I guess, we can just stop by Target or something," I say. Colin stands up, walking over to me, bending over to kiss my forehead.

            "Target? I can take you shopping anywhere baby girl, money is not an issue." I roll my eyes.

            "Please, I don't need you to buy anything for me," I say, playfully flipping my hair. "And Target will do just fine, I'm not very high maintenance." Colin laughs and holds me close to him. I feel his face at the top of my head, breathing into my hair. It feels so comfortable against his chest. 

"I could get used to this," I murmur.

            "You need to baby girl." I look up into his eyes, and I can feel him want me through his gaze. Not just my body, all of me. Is it possible to be this happy? To feel this complete?

"I'll grab my wallet," I say, pushing away from him and into the hallway. 

                        "You don't need to!" He calls after me. I run toward my room to grab my wristlet anyway. Good thing Leah's in class, otherwise she would've made me leave it behind.

**************************************** 

            As soon as we get through the main entrance of Target I realize something major. Colin is not just an average person. He is a celebrity, to the football world anyhow.

            "Umm, question? How do you go about a normal day without being bombarded by crazed fans?" I ask. Colin looks around as if he's just realized who he is too. As his eyes settle on something, he briskly walks over to a rack of wigs near the entrance. Grabbing an electric blue wig from the rack, he pulls it onto his head, flipping long strands of hair from his eyes.

            "Just call me, Colindra," he says, batting his eyes and poking his right hip out. I look at him wide-eyed, before doubling over in laughter.

                        "You can't be serious right?" I ask, trying to catch my breath. He walks ahead of me, swaying his hips from side to side.

            "Whet? Girl you ain't never seen someone this fabulous before?" He asks, snapping his fingers high in the air. I am doubling over in laughter, but try to catch my breath because people start to stare.  And then Colin starts twerking, his blue wig bouncing back and forth nearly falling off.  I take him by the arm in a fit of giggles, and we head over to the women's clothes. As we walk by people raise an eyebrow at Colin, but continue walking. His "fabulous" disguise, oddly enough, is working. I pick through the clothes, settling on a pair of jean shorts and a loose tank top.

            "I like these," I say, holding them together and showing the outfit to Colin. 

            "Yasssssss girl, that would look super cute on that ass," he says in an overly feminine voice, pursing his lips and smacking my butt. Blushing, I smack him on the arm. As we head to the checkout I notice Colin start to draw attention. The cashier keeps an eye on him, as she slowly scans the clothing items and folds them into a plastic bag. Colin keeps his act up.

            "Has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like..." before she can finish her sentence, Colindra interrupts.

            "Colin Kaepernick? Girl YAS, but I don't mind, he fine as hell," Colin says, exaggerating duck lips and running his fingers through his long blue hair. I bite my bottom lip to keep myself from bursting out in laughter. As soon as we're done I snatch the bag of clothes, thanking the cashier. She watches us suspiciously as we run for the exit. Before we get to the main doors Colin grabs the wig off his head and throws it onto a nearby cart. It's afternoon now, and Target is starting to get crowded, and as soon as that wig comes off, heads start to turn. 

            Colin looks down at me, kissing me on the head. I am definitely going to have to get used to feeling him kiss me that way. 

            "Baby girl?"

            "On the count of three, we run to the car. Otherwise, we'll be here all day, and it won't be pretty," he says. I look around and at other customers stopping, taking their phones and flashing pictures of us. 

                        "Okay," I say nervously, a rush of adrenaline mixed with excitement creeping over me.

            "THREE!" He exclaims. On his cue we bolt to the car, full speed. As soon as we jump in he locks the doors and starts the car. I'm laughing so hard by the time we pull out of the parking lot I can barely breathe.

            "Get dressed baby girl, we're going to the carnival," he laughs.