Chapter 16

Colin's POV

I wake up in the shoe room, stretching among pairs of Bred 11s. The sky has darkened outside the window of the room. I turn, noticing Vera isn't there. I sit straight up, wondering where she's gone.

            "Vera?" I call, walking towards the long hallway. I look in the guest room we were in, trying to figure out where she could have gone. I can't hear any noise throughout the house, which is unusual.

            "Vera?" I call again, walking towards the stairs. I look over the railing and notice her shoes are gone. I make my way down the stairs, my foot hitting something hard. I kneel over to pick up my phone, wiping the screen and trying to figure out how it had gotten there.Pressing the home button I'm bombarded with numerous missed phone calls and messages popping up. I scroll through. Fuckin Lauren. I jump down the remainder of stairs and head toward the kitchen.

            "Vera?" I call out once more. Nothing. I sit where we had eaten and try to figure out where she could have gone. I look to my phone, and think about how it had been on the stairs. Fuck. Vera....she saw. She saw the messages. I bolt up the stairs and throw on a sweatshirt and basketball shorts, run back down grabbing my keys, all the while trying to figure out the quickest way to Cedarcrest.

Vera's POV

             "Vera, just talk to me! Please!" Leah is pounding on my door now, trying to get me to come out. I lie on my stomach on the floor of my room, my face buried in a pillow. I sped back home from Colin's, and ran straight into my room, crying. Leah is usually the one coming home with drama, and I'm usually the one pounding on her door. This is new. 

            "Leah, please, I just, I don't want to talk," I sniffle, trying to get the words out through each hard breath. That's what I hate most about crying, really crying. The unnecessary harsh breaths. 

            "Vera, where have you been all night? I thought you stayed late to work with Aunty Becks, but she said you left! Please, talk to me!" Leah is still at the door.

            "Leah, I promise I'm fine. I just need time to myself!" I put my face back into my pillow. Stupid. How could I be so STUPID? To give my body to him like that, my private thoughts, how could I? The last time I have ever been intimate with anyone was during my freshman year of college, and that relationship was horrible. Since then I swore that I wouldn't have sex until I'd found someone who truly cared for me. Someone I could love. I gave in so easily to Colin, too easily. My mind drifts back to the pictures of Lauren. Her naked body posing suggestively on Colin's phone. I could never be that beautiful, or have that body. How many other girls like her are after Colin? Have had Colin? The thought makes me cringe. I had momentarily trusted Colin, and I see now how much of a mistake that was.

Colin's POV

I punch the elevator button with my fist, its taking too damn long. I look to the door next to the elevator. Stairs. I pull the door open and sprint up the stairs four at a time. I run down the long hall as soon as I get to the second floor, dodging a couple leaving.

I bolt to 267, banging on the door. "Vera? Vera! I know you're in there!" I yell, banging on the door again. The door flies open, Leah stands before me, tying on a bathrobe.

            "Umm, can I help you?" Leah asks. I'm not in the mood to deal with her attitude.

            "Where is Vera?" I ask, looking around behind her. She's nowhere in sight.

            "She's in her room...why?" She asks, unmoving. I put my head in my palm.

                        "Look, Leah, I really need to talk to her. I made a huge mistake, and I need to make it right," I say, doing my best to give Leah reason to let me in.

            "So you're why she's acting like this," Leah is on the brink of going into beast mode but I step into the apartment, dodging her before she can stop me.

            "Hey! Colin!" She snaps.

            "Vera? Vera, please," I knock on her door. I need to see her, I have to make her understand. 

 Vera's POV

My stomach drops at the sound of his voice. What's he doing here? I bring my head up from my pillow, sitting up against my bed.

            "Vera? What's going on! Do you want me to kick him out?" Leah's voice comes full throttle from the living room.

            "Vera? Please...I know you saw my phone, but it's not what you think it is, I swear. Just hear me out," Colin pleads.

            "I'll call the police on your ass, I don't care who you are!" Leah snaps.

I wipe my face, realizing it's too late to wash my eyes and pretend that I hadn't been crying. I press my face against my hands, hoping that can help take away the redness. I stand, hesitating before opening the door. You can do this Vera. You can yell at him to leave. Let him have it!

            "Vera.." Colin comes in, reaching out to me. I back away before he can touch me. The sight of him immediately makes me soften, and I try hard to fight the tender feelings that threaten to wipe away my anger.

            "Please hear me out," he pleads once more. I sit back onto my bed bed, arms crossed without saying a word. Colin comes before me, sitting cross-legged on the floor. Before Leah can burst into the room and yell anymore, I let her know that it's okay, and ask her to close the door. She gives Colin a death stare before closing it. I know she'll be in the hall listening anyway.

            "I know you saw my phone, and I know you saw all those messages. I swear, I had nothing to do with those messages from Lauren," he says, his brown eyes widening. "Last night I was at a party making an appearance for my friend Ty, and she cornered me. I swear, we didn't do anything, she just won't leave me the fuck alone," he exclaims. I stare at the ground between us. "I have nothing for her, and I meant everything I said to you," he finishes quietly. I look up at him. My turn. 

            "I'm not like those other girls Colin. I'm not like Lauren. I don't belong in a music video. And honestly, I can't see where I fit into your world," I say. The words come out evenly, more calmly than thought they would.  Colin sits up, coming towards me. 

"Please don't, touch me," I ask. I don't want to have any mixed emotions. I want to think clearly, and being in a room alone with him is already starting to cloud my judgement. "You're a quarterback for an NFL football team, Colin. I'm just, me. And to be honest, I don't know if I could deal with all of this. I mean, how many other girls are there like Lauren? Chasing after you?" I ask. 

            "I want you Vera. I want you dammit! I know I haven't had the chance to prove that to you, but let me show you!" Colin pleads. I look up at him, into his deep brown eyes. But all I can think about is Lauren's words. You want this daddy. I shake my head, looking down. This is it. This is reality. This is Colin Kaepernick. He's always going to have girls nipping at his heels, and there's nothing I can do about it. And how much else is there that I don't know about him? Cameron's words come back to my mind. I refuse to be part of his lineup. 

            "Please leave me alone," I say.

                        "What do you mean leave you alone?" he asks. I cover my face with my hands.

            "Just leave. Please. I need to be alone," I say. He tries to reach for me, but I move aside before he can. He looks at me once again, biting his lip.

            "Leave," I say finally, pointing towards the door. Colin stands up, hesitating. "Leave," I say once more, my voice nearly breaking. He walks towards the door, turning to look at me one last time, before heading out. As soon as I hear the front door close, I put my face back into my pillow and cry.