Chapter 66

Vera's POV

              The convention center is behind us in an instant, the whole city becoming a blur through the windows at the speed Cam's driving. "Colin," he mutters, his eyes squinting as he grips the steering wheel. His knuckles turn white against the steering wheel; and his temple pulses at his clenching teeth. Holding onto the handle of the door, I press back into my seat. What did I get myself into?

             "Please, Please Cam. Stop, stop so we can talk," I say, trying to gently persuade him to pull over. Cam slows down, shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts. Thankfully, he slows to five above the speed limit. I let out an exasperated sigh, trying to gather my own thoughts. My body is still slick with the scent of love making with Colin, my hair falling apart over my shoulders. A feeling of shame and guilt washes over me as I think about how Cam caught us in the closet. It was so rude of me to put him into that situation, to leave him-my date, to rendezvous with someone else. 

            As soon as we get to a stoplight, Cam makes a right and pulls aside to an empty playground. It's early morning, the sky turning lighter hue of midnight blue. We both sit in silence for a while; all that can be heard is Cam's labored breathing. I fold my hands in my lap, nervously trying to figure out what to say as I watch the swingset at the playground, the swings swaying in the breeze. 

            "Cam..." I start.

                        "I don't want to hear it Vera!" Cam snaps. I'm taken back by his tone. He turns to face me, his expression turning to fury. His sweet dimpled face is replaced by a mask of anger, his eyes bulging out, his white teeth bared to me. I lean toward the door. Never have I seen Cam this way.

                        "What does that motherfucker have that I don't have?" Cam spits, his voice suffocating me in the tight space of his car. I sit back in my seat, on edge at Cam's demeanor. My heart is beating fast, and I have no idea how to react, or what to say. 

            "Are you serious Cam?" I ask, trying to read him. I know I acted out of place at the gala, but nothing warrants the way he's talking to me.

                        Cam punches the steering wheel violently, the force of his hand making the whole car shake, the horn lets out a beep and I cringe back. He points a finger at me, his eyes bulging out in anger. His nostrils flare, lips curling. 

                        "How long do you have to keep running back to him, huh? You fucking slut!" Cam's voice is so loud as he yells at me, my ears hurt in the small space of the car. I look up in disbelief, trying to figure out if this is really happening. This can't be happening.

            "No, uh uh, I'm not doing this," I reach to open the door to leave, but Cam roughly grabs my arm, locking the car doors.

                        "No bitch, you aint goin nowhere!" Cam releases his grip on my arm and I slam against the car door window. I reach for the area of my arm Cam grabbed, a red hand mark staining my skin. Looking up at Cam in complete horror I feel hot tears prickling in my eyes. 

            "What's your fucking problem!" I scream, trying to look out of the windows for help.

                        "You're my fucking problem! Bitch! I'm tired of this bullshit. Colin gets whatever, whoever the fuck he wants, well guess what, he ain't getting you!" Cam is hysterical now, his angry laughter filling the car. Why didn't I see this before? I couldn't see it before. He hid it so well. Colin was right. He was right about Cam.