Chapter 23

Vera's POV

            Colin chose to drive his Escalade, something a lot more roomy and comfortable than his usual choice of ride. I buckle myself in as he speeds away from the mansion. The large house and twinkling lights become smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror. Did you seriously just ditch Cam at a dinner party? With Colin of all people? I silence the voice in my head, grabbing my phone from my bra. 5 missed calls from Cam. I put my hand to my forehead.

            "Something wrong?" Colin asks, turning onto a long road leading to the freeway.

            "Missed calls from Cam," I mumble, trying to figure out if I should text him back.

            "Forget him," Colin says, clearly irritated at the sound of Cam's name. 

            "What's your deal with him?" I ask. "Cam's a sweetheart, he's been nothing but good to me."

                        "You don't know anything about Cam," Colin says through gritted teeth. I'm surprised at his change of mood.

            "What don't I know?" 

                        "We'll talk about it later," he says quietly.

            "Are you hungry?" he asks, turning up the radio. I nod my head. Damn fancy parties and their finger foods.

            "I'm always hungry," I say, scolding myself for admitting so afterwards. Colin laughs, reaching over to touch my chin. Goosebumps erupt all over my arms at his touch.

            "Mickey D's?" he asks.

                        "You eating at Mcdonald's?" I ask, looking him up and down.

            "Baby girl, I eat what I want, my metabolism usually takes care of it," he winks at me while rubbing his hand along his stomach. Baby girl. I feel myself blush at those words.

             Right before hitting the freeway we spot the golden arches of McDonald's. Colin pulls up to the drive-thru.

            "What do you want baby girl?" He asks, turning to me.

                        "Um, I'll just have a vanilla ice cream cone, and medium fries," I say after quickly scanning the menu. Colin pokes his head out the window to order.

            "I'll have a chocolate dipped ice cream cone, medium fries, four mcChickens, and a double cheeseburger, no pickles add mac sauce," he finishes.

                        "Chocolate dipped?" I ask. Colin nods his head, smiling.

            "You've never had it chocolate dipped before?" I shake my head no.

            "Everything is better with chocolate," he says slowly, looking down at my dress. "Everything," he licks his lips and I smack his arm, turning red.

            After pulling up to the drive thru window and grabbing our food, Colin turns to park in the lot so we can eat. He pulls into the spot furthest from the McDonald's and keeps the engine on to let music from the radio play.

            I watch him scarf down his sandwiches and try not to laugh. He's so adorable when he eats. Adorable and sexy. How is it possible to be both at the same time? After he finishes and I'm still trying to finish my ice cream cone, he sits to watch me eat.

            "What?" I ask, feeling self-conscious all of a sudden. I try to avoid his eye contact, but it's difficult to do so in a confined space where there's only the two of us.

            "Nothing, I just love your mouth," he says. I almost choke on my ice cream. He's so comfortable with speaking sexually; it'll take some getting used to. OMG, take some getting used to...as if I'm planning on this fling actually getting somewhere serious.... After I finish eating we sit in silence for a bit, I don't know exactly what to say, so I'm happy when he breaks the silence.

            "It's been killing me not being able to talk to you, or see you for so long," Colin says quietly. I feel my heart soar at his words, but it's immediately swept away by jealousy when I think about what Cam told me about Lauren.

            "You didn't have Lauren to keep you company?" I retort. Colin clicks his tongue in disapproval at my comment.

            "I have nothing for her," he says, shaking his head.

                        "Cam said he saw you all up on her at the club!" I exclaim, wanting to know the truth.

            "Cam said that," Colin scoffs. "She came onto me, and I pushed her off, that's what happened. She won't leave me the fuck alone," Colin is clearly getting agitated.

I sit back in my seat, trying to figure out whom I should believe.

            "I'm being honest with you Vera. I want you. You and only you," he says quietly. "Cam's been on my ass since college, hating on me from the moment the coaches saw my talent. Ever since then he's been trying to pull me down."

            I think about how Cam had said him and Colin played college ball together, but only Colin had continued to the league. Is Colin telling the truth?

            He takes my hand, lacing our fingers together. I rub his palms, and feel they're covered with callouses from lifting heavy weights. He kisses my hand, and pulls it up to his lips.

            "I've never been this open with anyone. Ever...," my thoughts creep aloud into the space between us.

             "Don't shut me out," he says softly. I close my eyes and take in his scent, feeling his presence cover me.

            "I don't think I could, even if I wanted to," I whisper. I look at him in the darkness of the car, our breathing clouding the windows around us. I feel that familiar heat illuminating my skin, yearning to be against him. Miguel's voice creeps through the speakers and I turn the volume up, pulling Colin close to me, our mouths becoming one. 

Even when the sky comes fallin-

Even when the sun don't shine,

I got faith in you and I-

So put your pretty lil hand in mine

Even when were down to the wire baby

Even when it's do or die

We can do it babe simple and plain

Cause this love is a sure thing