Chapter 97

Colin's POV     

Vera's hands are around my neck, teasing me closer to her. She smells like vanilla...and coconut. I press my nose into her hair, letting each strand overwhelm me. Kissing a mouthful of hair, I pull her closer. She could never be too close. 

            "I've never felt this way before," I murmur quietly, wrapping my arms around her waist. Her waist is so small, and her chest is soft against the hardness of me. Her skin is silk, I can't help but grasp her with my fingers. I don't want her to slip away from me.

                        "Like what?" Vera barely pulls away, just enough to peer up at me with those brown eyes.

            "I never want to let you go."

                        "Colin," Vera scoffs, putting her head back into my chest. She always thinks I'm playing, saying stuff like that. 

            "I mean it."

                        "Save it for the cameras," Vera laughs, flipping long black hair over her shoulder.

            "Don't ever leave me again," I say, feeling my voice falter. I hold her tightly, her breaths shorter at my embrace. 

                        "I'll try not to. But it's out of my hands now," Vera looks up at me, gently kissing my chin. She lifts my head with a finger, softly tracing my jawline.

            "What do you mean?" I ask. As soon as I raise the question, Vera's eyes glaze over, and she vanishes from my arms.

 **

            "Colin? Colin!" Becca is shaking my arms and I jump awake. Fuck. I grasp onto my shoulders, as if desperately trying to recreate the dream I just had. It felt so real.

            "Vera is out of surgery. But she's still under. Are you okay?" Becca is bewildered, her hair a mess, make up is smeared around her eyes. We both haven't had much sleep in wake of recent events. 

                        "Can we go in?" I ask quickly, pushing out of my chair. As soon as I'm on my feet I feel dizzy.

            "Colin, you haven't eaten for a day or two.  Let's grab you something from the cafeteria."

                        "I don't want to fucking go anywhere until I see my girls," I snap. Becca tilts her head to the side and gives me a death glare. That you're gonna listen to everything I say whether you want to or not stare. 

            "You can take that mess to everyone else Colin, but I don't play that shit with you. You can't go see them right now; I was just letting you know the procedure is done. It took a lot of time, but its done. The baby is okay as well. Now let's go get you something to eat and see if that changes your attitude." 

            Leave it to Becca to always bring me back to Earth when I get outta hand. At her words I feel my body loosen. Baby is okay. Vera is okay.

                        "They're both alive?" I repeat, a part of me needing more confirmation.

            "Yes, they're alive. Baby is stable, but Vera is still under."

                        "Not awake you mean?"

            "Yes. Now let's go get something to eat before your attitude gets more out of hand. Then I'm gonna be the one with the attitude," Becca shoves me from behind as we head to the elevator.