Chapter 37

Vera's POV

            Leah holds my hair back as I throw up into a trash bin. My vision is blurry; the only thing clear is the metal can in front of me, holding my vomit. Ugh.

            "You know, I really think you should go see a doctor or something. This is getting a little out of hand," Leah gathers my hair into a ponytail and ties it up.

                        "I'm fine Leah. I just, maybe it was food poisoning?"

            "Yeah, I guess. But this has been going on for a few days, if it goes on a day longer you're going to a damn hospital."

                        "Alright, alright," I throw up my hands in mock defeat, standing up from my hunched over position. I head back to my room, vowing to plow through the day despite my current condition.

            "You're still going to work? Aunty Becks will totally understand if you don't come in today."

                        "No, Leah. I have to. I will."

I pace back to my room, grabbing a shower towel, reminding myself to buy some nausea medicine from Walgreens before hitting the stadium.

 Colin's POV

            I get into my car and reach for the glove compartment. Flipping it open I reach in, grabbing the ring. I hold the small velvet box in my hand, popping it open with my thumb. The large diamond is surrounded by small ones, forming a perfect circle. I don't know shit about jewelry, but I know this diamond reminds me of Vera's eyes. Round, glistening, and perfect. I shut the box and shove it back into the glove compartment, closing it tightly.

            Vera. Vera. Vera. I've finally found someone I can love. I've finally found someone who sees past football, who sees past money, who sees me. I never thought the day would come where I would have to put my childish ways aside. My mind drifts back to when I had sleepless nights, awake because I couldn't stop dreaming about her. I think about our conversations over that spaghetti dinner, when I first made love to her. I remember when I first kissed her, held her, felt her skin against mine the way I had been yearning to. Her laugh clouds my mind, her smile, the way I can talk to her more openly than I can with anyone else. So much time has gone by, and all that has changed is the fact that my feelings for her have grown stronger.

            I put my hands onto the steering wheel and laugh. Damn. Months ago I would have never seen myself in this position, with a ring in my glove compartment ready to propose to someone.

            "You're out of it Kaep," I laugh at myself. But it's okay, because if I'ma be out of it for anyone, it's gonna be Vera. Turning the car on I pump up the volume, reversing out of the driveway of my apartment to head to training.