Chapter 62

Vera's POV

In the days leading up to the gala, I went back and forth cancelling on going. The ups and downs were filled with me pouting to Leah, stuffing my face with oreos, and complaining that I'd gained weight and whomever Colin had to bring would look ten times better than me in a skirt. I mean, why even go? He was clearly happy and moved on with his life, and probably planned to marry this girl too. Leah nearly slapped me for that one. 

In the end, Cam agreed to go along with me since he was going anyway. We weren't really going as a couple, we were just driving there together, with Leah of course...And honestly, part of me was dying to see Colin. Actually, all of me was dying to see Colin. Kinda...sorta....

        "You..look....amazing," Leah looks me up and down as I twirl in a circle. Our hallway has become a runway. An honestly, after getting dolled up for the first time in a long time, I feel good too.

"Do you think it's ok?" I run my hands down the length of my dress. It's a floor length red dress that hugs my body tightly. The gala is a formal event, so floor length dresses were required. The bright red reminded me of the charity dinner, and how Colin and I matched without planning it. I debated wearing it, but when we went dress shopping, it was the only dress that looked nice on me. As fate would have it. 

           "You're a fucking knockout Vera!" Leah exclaims. Her dress is black, with sequins flowing down the front, with an open back, and a slit up her right leg. Her hair is neatly straightened and lying flat against her shoulders. I smile, twirling around one more time. 

"I feel beautiful for the first time...in a long time," I laugh, looking down at myself.

          "Cam's definitely going to think so," she says, letting out a low whistle.

"Well, Cam's outside. So we can go ahead and head out."

          "Okay! Don't forget your purse!"

**

The convention center is a large, imposing building, right near the heart of the city. After the valet takes our car to park, I nervously get out, putting my arm in Cam's. Leah gets out as well, putting her arm in mine. With both of them on either side of me, I feel a little more comfortable, my breathing calms and I hold my head up high--feeling more confident than I have in days. I can do this. This is going to be a great night. 

                "I'm going to go find Aunty Becca, just text me if you need me," she winks and lets go of my arm, heading into the crowd. I almost don't want to let her go, but she's gone before I can reply. It's a little awkward being with Cam, I feel eyes on us as we make our way to the crowded entrance. 

"So, are you excited for tonight?" Cam asks. I feel butterflies rising in my stomach, knowing that I'm so close to Colin is killing me. But I try to smile and be cordial with Cam, after all, it's him who is escorting me to this gala. NOT Colin. 

                "I am! I hope it's beautiful," I smile. My eyes dart from left to right, looking for any sign of him. If he's here I want to make sure I know where, so I can devise a plan to avoid him. Ugh. I'm overthinking again. But I can't help it. 

"Well, let's go ahead and check in and then find our seats."

I nod as we walk through the bustling crowd of some of the city's wealthiest residents. The center is enormous. Sleek floors are surrounded by high shimmering walls. There are smartly dressed servers everywhere, waiting on those who are dressed to attend. We check in as guests and head towards the main ballroom. Music plays and people sway to the beat, laughing and taking polite sips from drinks. We enter on the side of the ballroom, right into the dining area. It's enormous, reminding me of the ballroom in Levi stadium. 

The lights are low and the area is beautifully decorated. Simple yet elegant, with velvet red table cloths, and beautiful rose center pieces. We take a seat at a table where we see Becca sitting.

"Vera!" Becca shuffles quickly to me in her stiletto heels, embracing me in a tight hug. "Vera, Vera, Vera," she pulls back to take a long look at me.

"I missed you, so much," she says, tears welling up in her eyes.

               "Don't cry Becca!" I feel myself starting to cry as well. It's so good to finally see her after what feels like ages. We hug each other and then sit, talking about how beautiful the ballroom is. Becca goes on to boast about how she knew the florist personally and got all the centerpieces for free. As soon as Cam leaves to grab us some drinks, Becca scoots in closer to me.

"Vera, I know you don't want to hear this, but Colin misses you. He misses you a lot...and I think you should give him a chance to explain.." She had been holding that in the hold time Cam was here, I can tell. She lets out a breath after telling me. 

             "No, Becca. I've made my decision. I don't think it'll work out between us." The last thing I need is someone trying to change my mind about a decision I've already made. Or, sort of already made. Tried to make. She nods her head, putting her hand to her lips inquisitively.

Leah plops on the seat beside me with a champagne glass.

"Why can't I find just one good man! Just one?" She exclaims, throwing her drink back and slamming the glass onto the table. As soon as she says it, a well dressed man comes to our table and smiles.

              "Hello, is this seat taken?" He's wearing an all white suit, which handsomely compliments his dark skin tone. When he smiles again, a dimple in his right cheek becomes more noticeable beside a flawless smile. I look to Leah, whose mouth is wide open. Her jaw is about to hit the table; she's staring at him so hard. 

"Go right on ahead," Becca says, smiling kindly at him.

              "Why thank you." He sits down and Leah can't take her eyes off him. I try my best not to laugh because the way she's looking at him I can imagine Boys II Men's "I'll make love to you" playing somewhere in the background. She's for sure gonna have some fun tonight. 

"What's your name?" Leah asks him, as soon as she gains composure.

              "Oh, I'm Sean. May I ask what your name is?"

"I'm Leah. Say, do you want to grab a drink?"

             "Well, sure. That would be nice, I'm actually quite thirsty." They both stand up, and I watch the way Leah looks at him. They share a heated gaze, sparks practically flying, about to set the table on fire. 

"We'll catch up to you two later," she says, waving a limp hand towards me and Becca. The two of them head over to the bar, immediately getting close. Leah had such a way with men, luring them in so that they were caught--and once they were, there was no getting out. 

           "Well that escalated quickly," I say, elbowing Becca and laughing. Cam comes back with drinks and we sit, waiting for the event to start. Commotion starts when people start to turn towards the door, and I feel myself blush because I know who's here now. 

 I can't help myself as I turn to the entrance of the ballroom, and that's when I spot a glimpse of red. The same exact bright red I'm wearing. I feel my heart beating outside of my chest as my palms begin to sweat. It's Colin. He is as painfully beautiful as the last time I saw him. He enters the room in a bright red suit jacket, similar to the one he wore at the charity dinner. We're matching. Again. I turn away quickly, hoping he didn't see me.

"Damn Melody, what is she doing here?" I hear Becca mumble. Melody? I turn back toward Colin, after looking away in the hopes of steadying my breath. Holding onto Colin's right arm is a beautiful petite blonde, in a blue dress.