Chapter 20

Song for this chapter : "I can be more" by Lloyd ft. J Holiday

Vera's POV

            "Mmmmm his cholately ass," Leah licks her lips. I throw a couch pillow at her, making a face.

            "Cameron is a nice guy, Leah, but its just dinner," I roll my eyes, turning back to the mirror next to our front door to put on lip-gloss.

            "Mmmhmmmm just dinner," she says slowly. "Is he eating you for dinner?" she laughs.

            "Leah!" I snap, smacking her shoulder.

                        "Girl stop, you know I'm only playin," she giggles, returning to the kitchen table. The tabletop was covered in open schoolbooks.

            "Good luck studying tonight!" I smile at her.

                        "Oh stop. I'd rather be out to dinner with sexy ass Cam than here studying! I should've taken a break from school like you," she makes a sad face.

            "You'll be okay girl, don't give up!" I say, grabbing my purse and heading out the door.

***************************************************************************

 Vera's POV

Cameron pulls out my chair, inviting me to sit.

            "Thank you," I smile, having a seat in the woven wooden chair. The restaurant is an Italian one, called Tortellini's. The décor reminds me a lot of Olive Garden, but a more upscale version. Cameron sits across from me, smiling with his perfectly straight teeth. His arms are accentuated by the tight long sleeved dress shirt he's wearing.

            "You look absolutely beautiful," he says. I feel myself blush. Damn I have to stop blushing so much.

            "Oh stop," I laugh, picking up the menu and trying to use it to cover my blushing face. I peek over to Cameron, who's looking at his menu as well. Could this turn into more than just friendly dinners? A voice in my head scolds me. How could you do this Vera? You have feelings for Colin, and he has feelings for you! Why are you out at dinner with someone else!? I shake the voice silent, scanning the pasta section of the menu. I may have feelings for Colin, but so does the rest of the world. 

            "Are you ordering spaghetti? I recall you liking pasta dishes from the charity dinner," Cameron says. I laugh. We make small talk over salad, water (I told him I don't drink), and eventually our pasta dishes. He tells me more about his job and his love for San Francisco, as well as his love for football. I tell him more about my own life, and how I enjoy San Francisco as well.

            "So, you and Colin?" he asks hesitantly. I move in my chair uneasily at the sound of his name.

            "Ahhh, no," I say.

                        "Touchy subject?" he asks. I nod. He smiles in understanding and changes the topic. We talk and laugh until I realize how much time has gone by. His pleasant conversation made time seem nonexistent.

            "I gotta get going," I say, checking my phone for the time. "I have an early morning tomorrow, Rebecca needs some help with a few things," I stand up. Cameron stands up as well, wiping off his shirt. He pays for dinner in full.

            "Okay, well, let me walk you to your car," he offers. I shake my head no.

                        "I'm really okay. I'm in a rush any way," I say. Cameron comes over to me, opening his arms for a hug. I lean into him, his muscular arms covering me. I close my eyes, taking in his scent. Cocoa butter. I pull away, thanking him for dinner. I move toward the door before turning back to him.

            "Did you want to go to the coaches' dinner with me?" I ask. The words seem foreign to me, but for some reason feel right. Cameron puts on his jacket, beaming.

            "I would love to." he smiles.

I give him a thumbs up before waving goodbye to him and heading out the door.

 Colin's POV

I dial his number, waiting for the ring to turn into his voice.

            "Hello?"

                        "You already know who this is," I say coolly.

            "Colin? How'd you get my number?" Cam asks, surprised to hear my voice.

                        "What? You thought it was Vera?" I say quietly.

            "Come on bruh, don't be like this," he says. "Why can't we just put the past in the past," he sighs on the other end.

                        "Stop bullshittin," I snap.

            "What?  You still trippin over Trish? She wanted me," Cam says smugly.

                        "Look, I don't know what the fuck it is you're up to, but back off. I mean it. Vera is different," I say. 

            "Like I don't know that? Come on Colin, look at yourself. What do you have to offer her? When was the last time you've been in a committed relationship? Trish?" I can feel him smirking on the other end.

            "Besides," he says, "We're really getting to know each other. We'll probably get to know each other even better at the coach's dinner this weekend. She asked me to be her date."

         My teeth are grinding and I feel heat rise up my neck, like it does every time I get pissed off.  

            "She doesn't know you bro, she doesn't know the Colin I know..." he pauses on his last three words. 

                        "I'm not the same person I was back then," I say.

            "Oh, okay Colin," Cam huffs. "Colin ex-drug addict. Sleeps around with all the women. We both know, I can be more, more for her than you could ever be," he says. 

                        "She doesn't know the Cam I know either," I snap. "The Cam who tried to sabotage my career, the fool who hated on me from the moment I stepped foot on the Nevada gridiron and dominated," I sneer. Cam is silent on the other end. "Yeah, that's right, I went there. Play all your little games, but remember this ain't college. I'll wrap your ass up Cam, just like I used to do on the field," I finish. With that I hear the ringing tone, Cam hung up.