Chapter 91

Vera's POV

 A splash of water over my face brings me back into the dim dampness of the basement room.

            "Wake your ass up. You don't get to go easy," Cam's sneer comes into my space like a serpent, slithering through my silence. Deep throbbing sets in above my eyes, it's a headache like I've never felt in my life. When my body finally starts to feel again, I am in pain. Every part of me is screaming in agony. My first instinct is to grab for my stomach, my baby. I come to the realization once again that all my limbs are tied. My chest feels bruised and it's a burden to breathe. 

            "I would've thought you'd figure out I was in your house when you saw that dress," it sounds like Cam is talking to himself, his voice is so low, "Or maybe even when I put that damn bottle you used to bash my head into that crib."

                        "It was you," I say, my throat barely able to croak out the words. How long had he been walking around in my house? Invading my space? How did he know? And how could I have been so stupid?

            "It wasn't that hard to find you, especially after I found out you didn't put a restraining order on me."

                        "I should've," I confess weakly, my bottom lip quivering. How did I get here, how the fuck did I get here. Why didn't I press charges? Cam moves beside me, he stands on the bed, his weight making my body shift inwards on the mattress. I look up to try to see what he's doing. His frame keeps it covered, and I look back down, trying to scan the room once more. There is still no clear escape in sight.

            "I had been walking around your aunt's house, biding my time, fuming, ready to strangle you in your sleep. But, I wanted to elaborately plan your death, to have it so Colin could watch in horror," he roughly moves me aside. Death? No. No. There has to be a way out, a way out. This man is fucking insane!

            "He has been a pain in my ass since the day we met. Constantly boasting, showing me up, mocking me. And now he has a child. A fucking child, bastard child."

            A deep fear stirs inside of me.

                        "Cam, Cam, whatever you're planning on doing, you don't have to do it," my voice is wavering, desperate. I feel weak, barely able to move. My lips are dry, and my body is numb from being in an awkward position for so long. I cannot feel baby girl moving.

            Cam lets out a laugh as he hops down from the mattress. He hoists me forward, looking up above me. Following his gaze I realize he has tied a rope, a noose, right above my head.

            Shit. Shit this can't be it. A fear I've never felt before in my life passes through my entire body. A fear not for my own life, but for the life of my baby.

            "Cam, Cam....please," tears wet my face and mix in with the sweat pouring from my forehead. I start to heave looking up at the noose and I let out loud cries from deep within me.

            "PLEASE, PLEASE CAM. DON'T DO THIS! DON'T DO THIS TO MY BABY!" I bellow, fiercely pulling at the restraints holding me down onto the mattress.

                        "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Cam screams, his hand coming down hard against my mouth. The sting stuns me into silence, for a quick second. I watch Cam as he paces back and forth beside the bed.  

Colin's POV

            "Becca, you'd better be right on this," I exclaim, as we sprint through the door of the old motel. After searching through several complex databases and tracking all of Cam's bank accounts, we ended up here. At some random ass motel on the outskirts of Seattle. I didn't give a fuck about any of the logistics; I just wanted to get here asap.

            "Have you had any guests lately? One by the name of Cam Newton?" I ask quickly, drumming my hands against the check in desk. Every part of my body is twitching, I have a wrenching feeling in my stomach, and I've already thrown up several times on the way here. I feel like I'm breathing without lungs.

            The woman working at the desk is short and plump with blonde hair. She leans forward and pops her gum in my face.

                        "Who wants to know?" She asks smartly, pursing her lips.

            "Look, the police are on their way, and we have every reason to believe that a hostage is being held in this motel. If you do not release information that we are asking you for, and we find him here, you are considered an accomplice," Becca snaps, clearly not in the mood for any attitude.

            The blonde lady jumps back at Becca's claims.

                        "Well, uh, no. There hasn't been anybody by that name, I don't want any trouble!"

            "Have you seen anyone about this tall, black, big dude?" I ask quickly. Every second we take is a second Vera and baby are in trouble. We have to move fast. There's no way Cam would be dumb enough to use his own name to check into a motel.

            The blonde lady squints her eyes as if in deep thought.

                        "You know what, come to think of it, yes. There was a guy about that tall, with a woman. They paid a lotta money to get the back corner of this complex," she says thoughtfully.

            "What room number?" I ask, my body tensing. She turns around, reaching into a glass cabinet of keys.

                        "Here," she tosses me one, "Room 43, back corner." She doesn't even finish her sentence before I sprint out the door. Turning both ways I search for the numbers. The motel makes a U formation, and I run towards the left back corner. 43, 43, 43 Please Please be there.

            I bang on the corner door; the numbers 43 are peeling, barely hanging on right above the eyehole. I jam the key into the knob, slamming it open.

            It's fucking empty. I fall to my knees, my head in my hands.

            Vera, Vera. I should have never let you go.

            "WHERE ARE YOU!?" I scream into the air, my whole body flexing and tightening. I feel Becca come in behind me, followed by sirens and the search party we had ordered.

            "IM GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU CAM!" I scream, my vision turning crimson. Becca kneels beside me.

                        "Don't say that Colin, not with all of this law enforcement here. We're going to find them, I promise you," Her voice in gentle, but even I'm not that naïve to not hear the uncertainty in her tone.

            I will find you baby girl. I will find both of you. And when I find Cam, he's done.

            My nostrils flare, as the cold North West air burns through me.