Chapter 59

Colin's POV 

It's been one week. Of no calls, no texts. Nothing.

I reach for my phone to text Russ.

U there bro?

He responds quicker this time.       

            What's good Kaep, things gettn better? 

This whole week I've been venting to Russ. He's the only person I'm close to, the only person I trust. Even if he's my enemy on the field. I filled him in on everything, the engagement, Vera, the sex tape, and the break up.

One week. Nothing.

            Just give it time.

It's hard. 

            I feel u Kaep. Bt u gotta let time run its course. Shes gotta heal, n so do u. Give her some space, dnt suffocate her. Take it slow.

 Slow?

             Yeah, maybe u could be her friend befor things get serious again.

 Fuck. Friend? Nah, fuck that friend shit. I was about to make her my wife, there's no way I could just be friends. Not now.

Idk bro

            Take it frm me bro, its good to take things slow. I wish Ashton and I did, look at us now.

Russ is in the middle of a divorce from his wife. He was venting about that to me too. 

Im srry bro, sometimes things have to end for better things to start.

            Thts wht im sayin to u too bro! 

Alrite bro talk later.         

            Yup, Go Hawks!

I laugh. 

            Nah, we'll c about that when u come to my house. 

I close the message thread and lock my phone. Sometimes things have to end for better things to start. That's the thing though. Vera is everything that is better. I shake my head, sitting back on the floor of the shoeroom, remembering the night Vera and I spent in the same area. I feel my phone vibrate and unlock it to check. 

Colin? 

It's an unknown number. 

            Who is this? 

It's Melody. The reporter from earlier today. 

I think back to earlier at practice and remember the blonde who had interviewed me. How did she get my number? 

           How did you get my number? 

Look, jst wnt to meet up for a better intrview. Need more deets for article. Meet me @ place of your choice? 

I sigh, debating whether or not to meet with her. Should I tell Becca? Or take the initiative and do something on my own for a change? I remember Becca telling me to be nice to reporters, to build a "repore" with them. They had the power to build up my image, and break it down. 

I text her back. 

           Yea. Ill send the details later. 

I lay back after replying to Melody, thinking of Vera's lips.