Chapter 68

Vera's POV

Warm fingers wriggle into mine, clasping tightly. Several voices break through a blanket of fatigue that has been covering me. The fogginess in my head is heavy, but I can still hear. 

            "Vera...Vera, I love you." Leah's voice trembles above me. I can practically hear the tears in the shaking of her voice, the wetness of drops falling onto my neck. I wish desperately that I could hold her, put her petite body into my arms and let her know that I'm okay. 

            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to push you to be with Cam...Please be ok," I hear her sniffle as other footsteps make their way beside her. Please don't blame yourself Leah, this is not your fault. This is my fault. I should have been more careful. 

            "Leah, she will pull through, she's a trooper," Becca's voice is soothing, and I know she's holding Leah the way I want to right now. 

          Another set of footsteps shuffle into the room.  

            "Hello ma'am, everything seems to be running fine. We're going to continue monitoring her. If you don't mind, we're going to need some space," it's a voice filled with authority and precision, most definitely the Doctor. I can hear Becca, Leah, whispering to each other, Leah no doubt protesting. Eventually they leave the room, and only the Doctor is left. 

            As soon as they leave I do everything I can to open my eyes. I don't want to wake up with everyone in the room, I've caused enough commotion. The pain is gone, replaced by an overwhelming numbness in every part of my body. The face above mine is surrounded by a white light. Am I dead? Slowly willing my fingers to move, I gently wiggle my fingers, then my arms. I feel down the front of my body. I'm in a hospital robe, under a woven blanket. And it's cold. Hospital blankets are never much help to keep a person warm.

            "Ah, there you are Vera. How are you feeling?" The Doctor is a short middle aged man, frowning down at me through a thick lensed pair of glasses.

            I try to find my voice.

                        "I'm fine," I cough hoarsely. Every cough racks my chest, sending a sharp pain up my spine. I wince. 

            "You had quite an incident there. I think you've been out for a little over two days. Took quite a few good blows to the head."

            I cringe thinking of Cam's hands against me. Quite a few good blows. More than just a few good blows. I slowly reach for my face, instead of skin on my cheek I feel rough bandages. Tears immediately well up in my eyes. 

            "Vera, you are safe now. I can assure you of that. A few persons from law enforcement wanted to speak with you about the whole incident. Do you think you'll be ready to speak with them soon?"

            I feel my lower lip trembling as I shake my head no. I don't want to talk with anybody. NOBODY.

            "Very well then, I'll make sure they know. Otherwise, your breathing has stabilized, and surprisingly you didn't suffer any severe damage. We did have to stitch you up here and there, but other than the minor concussion, you are on the road to recovery." The Doctor's voice is calm and sure. I feel a little comfort knowing that I am in good hands.

                        "Thank you," I murmur.

        The Doctor goes on to tap a few machines and type notes into a computer near the edge of my hospital bed.

            "Also, there was a little bleeding, but the baby is going to be okay," the Doctor scribbles something onto his ipad.

         Hold up.

                        "Baby? What baby?"

            The Doctor peers over to me with a questioning look. 

            "Your baby, Vera. You're about twelve weeks along, and your baby is unharmed. You've just experienced trauma, and it is likely that the stress from the trauma caused the bleeding. Other then that, your baby's heart beat and health is perfectly in tact."