Chapter 60

Colin's POV

The parking lot at Levi is nearly empty, when I pull up to the curb I see Melody waiting right outside the locker room door. Gotta get this shit done asap. 

            "Colin!" Melody has a high sing song voice, and her dress is too tight. Her voice is annoying, but I try to hide my irritation as I get out from the car, smiling, trying my best to seem welcoming. Just like Russ. How the hell does Russ do this shit? 

                        "Melody," I say, reaching out for a handshake. She comes in with a hug, holding me tightly against her.

            "We can sit here on the curb if you'd like," she says, pulling out her phone. She puts on a recording app, the same one Cam uses.

                        "Uh, yeah, I guess. Whatever is comfortable for you," I say hesitantly. We both sit.

            "So, when did you absolutely know that you wanted to play football?" she asks.

                        "From the moment I picked one up."

            "Was that before you were adopted?"

                        "Yeah," I say, shifting awkwardly. I don't like when people ask me about my personal life. People dig too deep for the wrong reasons. Can't trust anybody. 

            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry. If you don't want to answer questions, just let me know," she says with a deep concern in her voice. Her bright blue eyes are sincere. A little too sincere. She moves in closer on the cement. I scan the parking lot, it's an odd place to do an interview. 

            I nod my head and we continue to talk. It turns out Melody is from Nevada, and we actually went to the same school. I tell her about the new stadium, new players, and our program this year. We talk for a long time and I loosen up around her.

            "So, is there anyone special in your life?" she asks finally.

                        "That's kind of a personal question," I laugh. Vera's smile pushes its way into my mind, her pouty lips laughing, toying with me. Something deep inside of me aches in the most painful way. 

            "So is that a no?"

                        "There is, there is someone very special in my life," I say slowly.

            "Who?" She asks, sounding a little disappointed.

                        "I don't think it matters anymore, she's through with me."

            "What?"

                        "She's through with me," I repeat.

            "So is there a chance for finding someone new?"

                        "It's too early to even think about that."

            "Well I hope you find someone who makes you happy Colin," she smiles. She's petite, maybe in her early twenties. She has an angular face and narrow features, with crazy blue eyes. On another day, even though I don't usually go for white girls, I might've moved in on her. But with my heart in Vera's hands, all Melody is is a pretty painting to look at. Someone I can say is good looking, without anything attached to it. 

                        "Thanks Melody," I say, not really knowing how else to answer that. "You're cooler than most reporters," I say, meaning it. She didn't throw out any sideways questions, didn't have any crazy camera guy come out from nowhere, that's more than I could ask for. 

            "I know," she smiles, patting herself on the back. "Are you going to the gala at the convention center this weekend?"

                        "Uh, yeah, you?"

            "Yes!" She exclaims.

                        "I'll see you there then," I smile. She blushes.

            "Colin?" I turn around at a familiar voice to see Leah. She's coming out of the door near Becca's office.

                        "Leah!" I jump up, looking around for Vera. Is she here? Was she watching me? Did she see me with Melody? 

            "She's not here," Leah snaps, rolling her eyes at me.

                        "I'm just, I'm giving an interview," I say quickly. I don't want her getting the wrong idea. I don't want her to tell Vera she's seen me with another girl.

            "Mmmmmhmmm, I hope you enjoy your interview Colin! You gonna make a video of that too?" She asks, flipping her hair over her shoulder and pursing her lips. I stand in silence as she flips me off and walks towards her car.

            "Who was that?" Melody asks, raising an eyebrow.

                        "An old friend," I say. "Are we done here?"

            "Yeah, we can be done. So, I'll be seeing you at the gala?" she asks.

                        "Yeah."

            "Ok, here you go, if you wanted to get in contact with me about the interview," she hands me a card with her info on it. When I grab for it she holds my hand a little longer than I would like. I let go before she does.

"Look, did you wanna go back to my place?" she asks, as if she's been waiting to ask me that during the entire interview. All my thoughts about her being cool are out the window. 

                        "Are you serious right now?" I ask. 

        "Yeah, I mean, I thought I was getting the vibe that you..." 

                        "We're done here," I say firmly, handing her the card back. 

        "But..." 

                        "Bye Melody," I say, walking back to my car. Fuck being nice to reporters.