Chapter 46

Vera's POV

            "Baby, promise me you'll go to the ER," Colin holds me against him, there in the middle of Gate B, at the airport. It's busy, as always, with suitcases clattering across the linoleum, people rushing by. With Colin, everything stops. People stop. 

                        "People are watching us Colin!" I blush and look down, unable to ignore the flashes from nearby iPhones.

            He reaches down to pull up my chin with his index finger, the way he always does, and kisses me lightly on my forehead, my nose, and then lips.

            "I don't give a damn about anybody else, woman. I thought you'd know that by now. Especially now," he says, grabbing my left hand and rubbing over the ring on my finger. "You're mine, the world needs to know that."

                        "I freaking love you Colin." He kisses me again, pulling his bag up onto his shoulder. The players are called to board over the loud speaker and he holds me tightly once more.

            "I'll be back before you know it baby girl, text and call as much as you want." He kisses me one last time, and we slowly release hands as he's called by one of the coaches to board.

            I blow him a kiss and wave. "I love you!" I exclaim.

            "I love you too baby!" He smiles, before turning towards the ramp heading onto the plane.

            I watch as all the players board the plane, along with staff and the rest of the 49ers entourage.

            "I thought I saw you from over there!" A familiar voice comes from behind me sets me on edge, and I cringe at I remember who it belongs to. Trish.

            "Look, before you throw a bitch fit, just know that I was catching a flight out. I'm moving on, and you will never hear from me again," she smiles sweetly. She studies me and looks toward the plane Colin just boarded. 

"Hmmm...you're still with Colin, huh?" She raises an eyebrow.

            I lift my left hand, showing her my ring finger. Her jaw drops instantaneously. "Yeah, I guess you could say we're still together. With the engagement and all," I say icily.

            "Hmm, so you didn't watch it yet?"

                        "Watch what?"

            Trish's voice settles into an arrogant sneer. "Oh Vera, you sweet lil thing. I do wish the best for you and Colin. I truly, truly do." She turns around with her rolling suitcase and walks away, her heels clicking as she chunks up deuces behind her. Bitch.

            I storm out of the airport, trying to forget I even saw her. As soon as I look at my left hand, my anger fades, and is replaced by thoughts of Colin.