Chapter 7

Vera's POV

Colin's hand moves down to the small of my back as he guides me forward because I momentarily forget how to move.

        "We'll catch you ladies later," he smiles, leading me towards the bar area of the event. Lauren and her friend stand in shock as we walk away. Throngs of people separate as we make our way across the floor, curious whispers catch my ear as we make our way by.

Is that his girlfriend? Colin has a girlfriend? I immediately feel uncomfortable, self-conscious, and vulnerable.

        "Would you like something to drink?" he asks. I nod, not knowing what else to do, and we head towards the bar. Colin helps me onto a stool and sits beside me.

        "I didn't know we would be matching tonight. I couldn't have planned that better myself," he say smoothly. I feel my cheeks flush red; I wonder if I can disappear into my dress. A bright blob of red.

"What is this Colin?" I ask quietly, playing with my hands. I feel like I'm stuck in some sort of dream, a fantasy that I'd hate to admit I had.

        "You don't drink right?" He asks. I don't reply. "I'll have two Shirley temples please. No alcohol for me tonight," he gives a brilliant smile that reaches his eyes to the bartender, and I watch her blush brighter than the glasses clinking in her hands. Colin seems to have that effect on every woman he comes into contact with. 

"What, what is this?" I ask again. Colin reaches to my face, his thumb brushing under my eye. His touch is so soft, gentle, and sure. His eyes focus on what he's doing, licking his lips. I feel like I'm suffocating, I have to be suffocating.

"You have a stubborn eyelash," he says simply. I sit, dumbfounded. 

"Look, I just want to get to know you. I need to get to know you. But how can I do that if you're always runnin off on me?" his eyebrows furrow.

"I just don't.... understand.... why you want to get to know me," I say finally. I silently applaud myself for saying what's on my mind. Colin looks down to me as the waitress places the two Shirley temples beside us.

        "Thank you ma'am," he smiles. I take a few sips and he doesn't touch his. He smoothes out the cuffs of his jacket, seeming to turn something over in his mind. I look around, noticing that he's getting a lot of female attention, and I'm getting a lot of dirty looks.

        "We should probably head on back to the dinner, I think Harbaugh wanted me to say a thing or two," he winks at me. Is this actually happening?

"I....." Before I can say anything more, Colin has my hand in his. I grab my drink and hold on tightly to him as we press back towards the dinner area.

        "Your hands are cold," he says softly. He takes my hand he is holding into both of his, rubbing them together for warmth.

"Yeah...they're always cold," I murmur. When we enter into the room, it's noticeably full to capacity. Guests turn to us and I immediately make eye contact with Leah. Her jaw drops. I turn to Colin. "Um, I was sitting next to Leah...so..." Colin nods as he sees where Leah is sitting. He waves at her, and her eyes widen, giving me a bewildered look.

        "Okay, I have to go sit with my teammates. I'll meet you here a little later?" I nod as we walk over to my seat and he pulls my chair out for me.

"Thank you," I say quietly.

        "Hey Leah," Colin smiles. He waves at the rest of the wide eyed guests at our table and heads toward the front near the podium.

"What the hell," Leah exclaims. "You better tell me what the hell you did in the bathroom! Did you shit out Colin Kaepernick?!" I calm Leah down and explain to her everything that happened. From Lauren, to coming out of the bathroom and Colin standing there. I also tell her about how he said he wanted to get to know me. Leah takes everything in and grabs my hand.

"Are you okay? V, I know you're shy. You're quiet and you guard your heart. You're not like me. You love so openly, and honestly.....Do you trust him? Because Ima be straight up with you. I don't." Leah looks me right in the eye with the deepest sincerity. I look down. I couldn't explain how I felt. Everything was happening so quickly, and she's so right. Do I even trust him? Am I just his flavor for the evening? I look up as soon as I hear his voice at the microphone. I look back to Leah and shrug, unsure of how to feel.

Colin speaks about a foundation he started, for children who had lost their parents, and a center he is planning on opening downtown. He also shares his own story about being an orphan, and how he lost his parents in an unfortunate car accident. He is bright and caring with his words. For the time being, I see more than just a cocky quarterback.

After speaking, Colin is caught in waves of people, taking pictures and completing interviews. The dinner progresses and we all eventually get up to go in line for food. The buffet setup is immaculate. There are trays of pastas, salads, ribs, pork, and more. I pile my plate with food.

        "You like spaghetti?" A smooth voice comes from behind me. I turn to face a handsome man in a black suit. He's tall with a muscular build, dark skin, and a teasing dimple. 

"I love spaghetti," I laugh. He nods his head, looking me up and down. He points towards a tray of crab legs.

        "Best you'll get around San Francisco," He says. I put some onto my already filled plate. "What's your name?" he asks.

"I'm Vera," I say.

He holds out his hand and I shake it with my free one.

        "Cam. Cam Newton. It's a pleasure to meet you," He holds my hand for a little longer than necessary.

"Well, the pleasure is all mine Cam. I hope you enjoy the spaghetti," I say politely. Cam smiles and moves aside as I make my way back to our table. There are no guests sitting, everyone is in line getting food or mingling with other guests. 

        "Who the fuck are you?" the voice comes from behind me, shaking in anger. I turn around and see Lauren less than a few inches away from me.

"Ummm," I back into the table. I hate confrontation, and Lauren is a bull ready to attack.

        "Let's get one thing straight, Colin is mine. I don't know who the fuck you think you are, but my name is all over that." A nude fingernail is in my face.

        "Trash, that's all you are. I ain't even seen you around here. You're not even from here are you?" Before I can answer she sneers and lets out a laugh. "Yeah, okay. Colin can have his little fun with you. Let me guess, he just wants to get to know you?" I feel my stomach drop at her words. She waves a hand in the air and laughs. "I'm done with you. But just know, you better watch your damn step because I don't play," she snaps. Say something. Say something Vera! Hot tears sting in my eyes as I try to muster the courage to say something, but I am at a loss for words. I'm not from here, and if this is the kind of company Colin keeps, do I really want to get involved? Leah comes just in time to shove Lauren away from me.

"Lauren? Is that your name? Yeah, bitch. I heard about you. Stay the hell away from Vera because if you don't, I'll beat your ass," Leah is inches away from Lauren's face, her teeth bared. Guests start coming back around, and Lauren backs away, plastering on a fake smile and pointing straight at me. It's a warning.

"Are you okay?" Leah asks. I nod in my chair. She's just about to hunt Lauren down once more but I grab her arm. Near the podium I can see Colin is surrounded by a group of women. They're laughing, one with her hand on his shoulder. The pang of jealousy lurches from deep inside of me. Is this a glimpse of the future? If it is, he sure as hell isn't worth it. He is not worth all of this trouble.

        "I want to go. Let's just go out now, I need to get my mind off things," I say quickly, trying to keep hot  tears from springing down. 

"Girl, you don't have to tell me twice," she says. Leah walks over to Rebecca to ask if we can use her driver on the town, and soon we are headed out of Levi Stadium.