Chapter 98

Vera's POV

"GRANDMA!!??" I scream, trying helplessly to move every part of my body. 

I can feel an overwhelming darkness consume me, something pulling me down. In an effort to wriggle my feet, I'm twisted upside down, suspending into pitch black oblivion.

            "Vera? Vera!" My grandmother's voice sounds so far away, so desperate, falling away from me. "Vera!" She yells, "Fight! You have to fight!" My body tenses, and I use everything in my body to pull free, letting out a loud cry in despair.

A dark laughter erupts around me, and my lungs constrict, as if a rope is being wrapped tightly around my mid-section. 

"Even in death you can't avoid me," the familiarity of Cam's voice and the following devious laughter sends me reeling as I let out a shrill scream. 

Colin's POV

Vera's eyelids are flickering wildly, her body convulsing to and fro on the hospital bed. Her face begins to contort, and I try my best to hold her still, to calm her down.

            "Baby! Vera? VERA!" My voice doesn't seem to be breaking through to her, to bring her out of whatever the fuck is taking over her.

            Several nurses run into the room, jumping forward to hold me back by each arm as I fall to my knees.

            "WHAT'S HAPPENING?!" I cry out. Just a few moments ago she was completely at peace, breathing calmly. Now, it seems like her body has been possessed, possessed by a damn demon.

                        'SIR, we are going to need you to leave. Vera is experiencing seizures and we need to stabilize her," the Doctor nods towards the nurses to help escort me out.

            "Nah, don't fuckin touch me," I shove them off me, "I'm not leaving her again!" I snap. The Doctor turns to face me, squaring his shoulders under that white jacket.

                        "If you do not leave, we will be forced to remove you from the premises," he says sternly.

            I grit my teeth, going over the options in my fuckin head. As soon as the Doctor threatens to send a nurse to grab security I lift up from my knees, watching in desperation as they strap my baby girl down to the mattress. It takes everything within me to turn away and leave the room.

Vera's POV

         "You have to be fucking KIDDING me!" The beating of my heart becomes rapid against the imaginary restraints holding me in place. This can't be happening, this isn't happening, holy fuck this can't be happening!

                        "Fucking kidding me?" Cam's voice is clear, and its darkness instills a deep fear within me, surrounding me in the darkness of this limbo. How can he be here? HOW!?

                        "How can I be here? I'll tell you how I'm here Vera, I'm here because I'm supposed to go to hell. But guess what? I'm not going to hell unless I take you with me." Cam invades my thoughts in his response.

            A coldness slithers up my back, like the tip of a cool unwanted finger on my skin. My chest tightens, and for the first time in this afterworld I feel myself on the verge of tears. I was so close to life, so close to Colin, to my baby girl. I don't want to die anymore, I want to live!

            "Cam," my thoughts race in an effort to find a way out. Any possible way out. I think about my grandmother and the large field she found me in. There has to be a way. There has to be a way!