Chapter 3

Vera's POV

The front door bangs open and I hear Leah curse as she knocks something over, followed by something smashing onto the wooden floor.

"Vera? VER-A!" Leah sounds drunk and disoriented. A few more objects bang onto the ground and I groan, sitting up in my bed. Stumbling out of my room and into the narrow hall, I rub my eyes trying to get a clear view of Leah. No matter how sleepy I am, I can clearly see Leah is a hot mess. Her makeup has smudged so much, it looks like she has two black eyes.

"Ummm, sweety, the smokey eye is wearing off on you..." I murmur, grabbing a hold of her arm to help her gain balance. Leah lets out several giggles as I lead her to the bedroom opposite mine.

"Girl, the turn up was real last night!" Leah exclaims, waving a hand in the air, a stiletto nail missing my eye by an inch. I sit beside her on her twin-sized mattress, trying not to slip off the satin sheets. One by one I take off each of her heels and throw them into the corner.

Leah has been my best friend since we were both students at Eastern Washington University. We both applied for graduate school, but I wanted to take a break before going back into the classroom. She got accepted to the University of San Francisco, and begged for me to move down to San Francisco with her after graduation until I decided to go back to school.

Leah, unlike me, comes from money....a lot of money. Her Aunt Rebecca is a major PR lady for the San Francisco 49ers and is willing to pay for her education. Rebecca's position also gives her a part in the major clubbing and party scenes in the bay area, which means Leah automatically has in as well. Leah is basically living every young adults dream, and dragging me along with her.

She lies back onto her bed sheets and before she can dish out anymore juicy details about her night she knocks out. I cover her with thin sheets and take her cell phone from her hand, plugging it into the charger on her nightstand. Checking my phone for the time, I make my way to the kitchen to whip up some breakfast. 7:31 am. I open our cupboards and take out a can of spam. My favorite breakfast is spam, eggs, and rice, something Leah grew to love in our college days.

"Leah, I'm gonna make you some spam kay?" I holler down the hall. I check my cell phone again and see that Leah's Aunt Rebecca texted. I open her text while flipping a slice of spam onto the frying pan. It sizzles onto the oil.

Vera...Leah isn't picking up. She ws out all nite huh? Do you mind helping me out at the office today? I'll be at the lockerroom. U remember hw to get here?

My stomach gives an uncomfortable lurch as I think of Colin.

Hey Rebecca! Idk if I cn...I will see what Leah is up to.

Rebecca replies before I put my phone back onto the counter.

Pretty plz! I just need you to help sort out some paper work, mainly filing. I am in over my head w/ other matters. Plz plz plz

I hesitate before answering.

Ok. Sounds good, when do I need 2 be there?

As soon as you can! Plz and thank u! appreciate it so much Vera!

I take the spam out from the pan and toss the spatula into the sink, turning off the stove. I sigh as I head back to my room, the scent of spam filling the apartment.