L'Appel Du Vide

L'Appel Du Vide: the call of the void.

Cody followed Chara through the Void, hugging himself. His legs were trembling. But he felt determined at the same time. He was here to save Gaster. And he knew he could do it.

"I do not think you will like what you will see." Chara informed him. Their head was bowed. They were still grey. "Your time is nearing its end. He is almost gone. You don't have much chance to save him."

"I think I'll be able to do it." Cody asserted himself, holding out his frying pan. It was with him this time. He was thankful for that.

"You are very determined, are you not?" Chara laughed. "Before I thought you were nothing but a weakling. But it seems you have proved yourself. You're stronger than I thought."

"I don't want to be a pushover anymore," Cody replied, looking at the cracked ground. "It just hurts everyone..." 

"I like your thinking," Chara smiled. They paused, their head even lower than before. "If only he was like that."

"'He'?" Cody asked, raising his brow.

"Never mind," Chara said quickly, straightening their back. "We are almost there."

Cody pouted. He walked beside Chara, making them uncomfortable. He gave them a friendly smile. They didn't show him their face. But they gave him a small nod.

Chara suddenly tensed up. Gaster was there. However, his face was covered in cracks and his lower body was black goop. The black goop was coming out of his cracked skull as well. Hands were floating above him. Darkness was radiating out of him. Cody couldn't help it, he stepped back in fright.

"It is not too late to go back," Chara whispered. They were even further back than Cody, still hugging themself. "You can go back to your friends."

Cody faced Gaster, who was slowly but surely melting away. Chara waited patiently behind Cody, their head bowed. Cody made a face.

"I promised I'd try," he said, eyeing Gaster. "And I don't want to break anymore promises."

Cody took a step, approaching the monster. Gaster made a series of terrifying noises. Cody took a deep breath, chills crawling up his spine.

 Cody took a deep breath, chills crawling up his spine

He couldn't back down now.

"Hey," he said calmly, smiling at Gaster. "I'm here to help you."

Gaster didn't reply. A light gleamed in a hole in his skull.

Cody grinned. "Yeah! I'm gonna get you out of here." He held out a hand, reaching out for one of Gaster's.

"I do not think that is a good idea." Chara mumbled, taking another step back.

More goop came out of Gaster's body. One of his hands reached for Cody's. Cody took another step forward, grabbing the outstretched hand. But as soon as he did, goop covered his shoes. It crawled around Cody's legs. He could barely move.