Faye's Patience

~Faye~

Faye was very happy when she found out Toriel's house was really nice. It had a pale wood floor, a staircase leading down to somewhere and wood walls.  It was like Faye's aunt's house. Now she missed her cool aunt. At least Melody was smiling at her.

Toriel was standing in front of the staircase. "Surprise!" she said brightly. "Do you smell that?"

"Yeaaahhh, somethin' smells gooooood." Brayden replied, looking hungry.

"Is that pie?" Cody asked eagerly. 

"It is, my child," Toriel replied, nodding. "It is a butterscotch-cinnamon pie. I thought we might celebrate your arrival. I want you all to have a nice time living here. So I will hold off on snail pie for tonight."

"Snail pie? Ewww." Melody commented, crinkling her nose. The others nodded in agreement.

"I'd try it!" Brayden said boldly, like he was being challenged. Faye wondered if he was being brave or just crazy. She knew she wouldn't eat snail pie.

"Living here?" Clover asked, folding her arms. "Don't you mean showin' us how to leave 'ere?"

Toriel paused like she was contemplating something. Then she said, "Erm, how about you children have your pie now? I need to prepare your room, anyway." 

She led the kids to the left. Clover looked suspicious. Faye felt happy. She liked pie. The room to the left was large with a wooden floor and pale walls. There was a fireplace, a bookshelf with old books (Percy walked right over to it), a large armchair and a fireplace. A brown table was near the corner of the room. It was surrounded by chairs. Plates holding pie were sitting on the table, letting off steam.

"Here we are." Toriel spoke calmly, pointing at the table.

"AWESOME!" Brayden yelled, pretty much running into the chair. Melody sighed.

"This isn't poisoned, right?" Clover asked, eyeing Toriel. The disturbed goat woman shook her head. The eighth human was giving Clover a thumbs-up. Faye smiled at her as well. She liked Toriel. All the kids sat around the table. Melody was trying to get Brayden to not be so messy while he was eating. Cody was asking Toriel about the recipe. Percy was reading a book he'd found on the shelf. Clover was eyeing her bro. The eighth human slipped the pie into their pockets.

"You're saving it for later?" Faye asked, watching them. "That's a good idea. I'll do that too." 

She put the pie in her pockets. She wasn't really hungry anyway. Unlike pretty much everyone else, she wasn't the biggest fan of food.

"Ohhh this is AMAZING!" Brayden yelled, making a huge mess.

"Brayden you're making a huge mess!" Melody grumbled, glaring at him and unintentionally copying what the narrator said.

"Toriel said the recipe requires quite a lot of butter," Cody mused, tapping his chin. "That's okay - I think there's butter at home."

"Okay, this is actually darn swell," Clover commented, finishing her pie. She eyed the genderless kid. "I hope you're right 'bout it not bein' poisoned."

"Astonishing," Percy gasped emotionlessly, reading a book. "According to this book, humans attacked monsters. They retreated underground, eventually arriving at a cavern. There, they built a town: Home, named by the king. Apparently he stinks at names. I presume that city we saw is Home - or was Home."

"Humans attacked monsters?" Clover asked, looking up. "What was that war all about, anyway?"

Percy took out his notes. "Recordings say that monsters tried to take our SOULs - as they give them great power. We fought to protect ourselves and sealed monsters underground with a magic spell." He hadn't touched his pie.