Cody's Kindness

Cody could see nothing. His heart was racing. A chill went up his spine.

What was this place? Where was he?

All he could see was darkness. He took a tentative step forward, a dull ache in his stomach.

"But Frisk..." a voice whispered from somewhere. "You're the future of the whole world!"

"Hello...?" Cody asked, looking around. "Is someone there?"

"Then the world doesn't have a future." a voice laughed spitefully. Then everything went white.

...

Cody observed his mother cutting up vegetables and checking on meat in the oven. It almost looked like... fun. Cody didn't have any hobbies other than skateboarding, and he wasn't really that good at it. He wondered for a second...

"Hey, Mom, can I..." Cody paused. "... help make dinner?"

"Of course!" his mom grinned at him. "You can definitely help me."

And so, that's where Cody's strong passion for cooking began. Although, he kept it secret for a long time.

... Until the incident happened.

"You really don't have to worry about what others think," his mother told him. "You're special just being you."

"But everyone judges me." Cody grumbled, ignoring taunting voices in his head.

The social norm was a cruel thing.

Cody held up his skateboard. "I guess... I guess I'll just be what people want me to be. Just a normal kid."

His mother simply smiled. "One day, Cody, I promise... you won't mind anymore."

"Yeah, right," Cody frowned. "That'll be the day people will walk all over me."

"Who said they aren't already..." his mother mumbled.

Cody woke up in his bedroom. The sun was shining into his bedroom. He got up and observed himself in the mirror. Today was a special day. It was his birthday! (And his twin sister's...)

Cody put on a short-sleeved shirt and shorts. He grinned and headed downstairs. The kitchen smelled great! His mom must've made a birthday cake of some sort. Cody could hear Clover playing some video game in the living room. Cody rolled his eyes. His sister was such a nerd. 

"Happy Birthday, Cody!" Cody's dad approached his son, ruffling his hair. 

"Did you get me some presents, Dad?" Cody asked.

"Why wouldn't I?" his dad replied, smirking. "A few of your friends are comin' over by the way. It'll be a pretty big party."

"Well, duh!" Cody replied. 

He went into the living room and eyed his sister playing video games. She was still wearing her pyjamas. What a nerd. 

Cody frowned at the screen. "Turn that off, Clover. It's annoying."

"No way," Clover replied casually, not even looking at him. "I'm playing as many games as I want."

"It's my birthday!" Cody responded.

"It's mine too," Clover retorted.

"Dad!" Cody yelled, looking over his shoulder. "Clover won't stop playing her stupid video games!!"