» Forty Demeanors

Quinn

{'The only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.'}

I had to do it.

I had to tell her the truth. They needed to go away from here or that bastard would pull them in his web of wicked games. I wanted her to leave, away from here—— away from danger, even if it means losing her.

Despite I had successfully pushed Risa away, hearing those painful words unbuckled my knees as I slid my back against the door, embracing myself together and sobbing in agony. I didn't want her to know what I really was but I knew such desire wouldn't do any good for the both of us because eventually, she would find out. I was just so afraid to the point I was fooling myself.

Freak, I thought to myself. Maybe I truly deserved that insult because instead of embracing it, I kept it under my sweet fake personality. I deserved her resentment because I broke our promises to each other, concealing the truth I couldn't accept beneath all of my delusion.

I tried to stand up because I needed to protect her. I needed to protect everybody from him. Wiping my tears from my cheek, I took my phone from the desk and dialed my sister's number. Waiting for a response, I weakly leaned against the wall until I heard her voice, probably for the last time.

"Hello, Quinn?" she answered almost excitedly.

"Please, I don't want her here anymore," I told her firmly, trying to sound so mad even my heart was still shouting for Risa's name.

"What? What happened?" Khloe responded out of surprise and curiosity.

"I told her about the truth and as I'd expected, they are all the same. She called me a freak!"

"What the hell!" she retorted, her tone indicated that she didn't expect that Risa was capable of that. "That bitch! Where is she? I'm gonna punch her boobs."

"Probably still outside my beach house," I said and turned to look at the closed door. "Can you just do me a favor, please?"

"Do you want me to beat her ass?" she asked, trying to be an overprotective sister. "Just say the word, I will seriously going to do it!"

"No, please! I'd already expected it from her anyway," I said, almost in a whisper, and then let out a deep sigh. "Pick her up here and go home. I'll arrange for a private plane for all of you. I just don't want her here anymore."

A silence played for a moment on the other line. Khloe was probably trying to contemplate what I just said before she spoke again, "Okay... But I'll stay here with you."

"No!" I quickly declined. "No, please. Go home with them. There's so much work to do so I'll probably won't able to spend time with you even if you stay here."

"But Quinn, I'm worried about you."

I lightly smiled at her concerned tone, reminding myself that I was very lucky to have her in my life. She was my rock and without her, I would probably crash, fall, and would never stand up. "No, I'm fine. I really am. So please, do me a favor."

I heard her sighed in return. "Okay, I guess I have no choice but to drag them back home after I alarmed them last night because of a single weird message from you. But honestly, it's just me making a stupid reason just to see you again. I've been missing you, Quinn."