» Thirty-Second Time

Quinn

{'Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.'}

A noise woke me up from my dreamless sleep.  As soon as I opened my eyes, I scanned my room and rubbed my eyes from my own drowsiness. It didn't take too long to realize that Risa was talking to Uncle Elric who seemed so upset about something.  I sat up and they tilted their head at me once they sensed that I woke up from their loud murmuring. 

Risa bent her lips upward, smiling sweetly at me but it looked like she was faking it while Uncle Elric was scowling as he observed the two of us.  I must be smiling back at her or maybe I was grinning too much.  I didn't know how the hell she got more beautiful in each passing second. Or how she got more gorgeous in each millisecond.

"So what's up?" I started, sitting at the edge of the bed. I didn't realize that I slept for hours because I noticed that the sky was getting darker from my window, hiding the light autumn radiant of the sky from above.

Uncle Elric cleared his throat and I knew he had something important to say as he pulled my rolling chair and sat over it like he owned the world. He scanned the room willingly, smiling at his own self.  I couldn't imagine how many women came looking for him whenever they found out he was home in our huge place. I was even mistaken as a whore because I was living with him.

"Old days, the good old days," he said cheerfully. "I remember when we used to play high school in this room. Do you know this was your Aunt Claire's bedroom? We were always having a pajama party every weekend."

"Pajama party?" Risa asked confused but he shooed her by raising his index finger. Closing his eyes, he leaned back and crossed his legs, resting his arms to the armrest.

"Ahhh", he unexpectedly breathed out like he was in the middle of a sexual fantasy. Risa turned to me with a confused, disgusted face and I had to stifle my laughter.

"I can still hear their giggling," he began again with a smile—his eyes still remain close like he really could hear it.  "Our giggling."

"What the f uck", Risa mumbled silently to me.  "I don't mean to disrespect but is your Uncle crazy?"

I immediately covered up her mouth and pulled her beside me.  "Are you having a death wish?" I whispered back to her.  "Yes, he is crazy."

Risa bit her lips, trying to suppress her laughter from him.

"I can hear the whispering," Uncle Erick scolded and we snapped our heads to him, finding him still having his distant memories.

"Yes, the whispers of Marisa Gail," he stated before he opened his eyes again, staring directly at my girlfriend.  "Your mother was a heart stealer. Just like you are doing with my Quinn now. You're stealing my child's heart now."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not your child."

"Shut up."

"Ummmm..," Risa tried to make out a word.  "I'm sorry?"

"What are you apologizing for, honey?" he asked, holding his hand together.

"Because my mother stole your heart," she answered hesitantly.

He literally laughed out loud, making us jump together.

"Your mother didn't steal my heart," he said suddenly, bringing his face to his palm. "She stole your father's heart from me. He was mine. He was until your mother whispered to me a secret that broke my heart.  Can you believe it? They were together."