» Thirty-Eighth Repression

Trigger Warning: Read at your own risk.

{'The worst enemy is memories.'}

Quinn

The sound of the ticking clock softly caressed my ear—— never stopping. Timeless and eternally like my throbbing heart inside my chest. My eyes flickered open and I saw myself standing in the middle of a grandiose foyer. The surroundings felt neutral and miserable as the nightshade slipped outside through the glass window, overcasting my form tremendously. Tilting my head up, the light of the chandelier in the center of the ceiling was the only thing that breaks against the darkness.

It was like a dream—— or memories.

Deliberately, my eyes landed on a form, standing in the middle of the grand staircase. It was a little girl, gazing back at me. Her eyes were untainted and innocent as they gleamed against the light. She stepped down one at a time, still, her forestry gaze not leaving mine. The hue of her braided hair was blonde as mine as it draped over the princess-like floral dress she was wearing.

As she walked in my direction, I already felt a deep connection with this petite creature. I wanted to reach out for her but my feet seemed glued with the surface. She stopped in front of me and turned her head sideways. Curious and bewildered, I followed her eyes and then a sudden feeling of longing struck my heart, seeing my Dad and Mom sitting in our living room, enjoying the burning log in the fireside. They were close to each other, cuddling lovingly inside a thick blanket that was keeping them warm.

The little girl suddenly yanked me closer to them and then she released my hand before hiding behind the wall, staring at my parents quietly. I just stood beside her and listened to their subtle conversation.

"Don't you think it's time for us to tell our daughter the truth?" my Mom asked, gazing at my father. Her hazel eyes still brought me warmth and security whenever I look at them.

My Dad let out a sigh, pulling my Mom closer into his embrace. "I don't know how can we explain it to her. How can we describe the feeling of pain if she never felt it since she was born?"

"She'll eventually find out once she's in the right age and mind. And as parents, it's our responsibility to tell her before she realizes it on her own. We've done enough to protect her by not letting her engage with the outside world. We are giving her education inside this house instead of sending her to school. But don't you think it's unfair for her?"

My father nodded. "You're right. Why don't we tell her this tomorrow at her tenth birthday?"

"I agree," my Mom said before her eyes flashed in my direction. She seemed surprised in a brief moment before she spoke, "Quinn?"

My father quickly turned to look at me. "Quinn? Why are you still up?"

I was dazed in a moment. I wanted to tell them how much I missed them but strangely, my mouth couldn't speak. I wanted to hug them but sadly, I couldn't move any further. It was like I was stuck in my own place for some reason. That I had no control over my own body.