» Thirty-First Burn

{'Love that we cannot have is the one that lasts the longest, hurts the deepest, and feels the strongest.'}

The crowd was rising up to their feet. Cheers and claps boomed in the school field.  Everybody had their animal hats on.  Students were bustling as they found the parading pets adorable while some boys were whistling because one of the contestants was shaking her booty over the stage with her little dog. 

Next to Hillary, I could see diamonds sparkles in Tiana's eyes, watching all the pets performing on the stage.  She was too distracted that she didn't even notice Bailey was with some guy I didn't know.

I searched the surroundings, looking for Quinn but she was nowhere to be found. I located Khloe talking to her animated minions but my girlfriend was missing.

I escaped a worried sigh. What the hell was my girlfriend up to?  She was being so distant since I told her the "L" word.

My Dad nudged me from my side so I looked at him puzzled.  He wiggled his eyebrows, asking me what was wrong but I just shook my head. I must be pouting all day.  I didn't get to talk to her about it because she might reject me. Again... I was scared that my feelings were not mutual with her.

Dad elbowed me again so I lowered, staring at him.  He grinned while shaking his head before he looked over my shoulder. I followed where his eyes were and there, I found my girlfriend talking to a man. He was like a business tycoon with his stylish suit. His hair was brushed up neatly while he moved fashionably like an imperative person. I was sure this man had many girls kneeling at his feet. And why was my Quinn talking to him?

"Elric," I heard my Dad muttered.

"Elric?"  I repeated and he seemed so familiar to me until I realized he was the man in the childhood picture with us. "Oh, Elric..."

My Dad stood up and I trailed behind him, passing through the wild cheering crowds.

Elric noticed us before Quinn did.  He smiled and opened his arms for my Dad and he hugged him, too tight.

Trying to act normal, I suddenly leaped in surprise when Quinn suddenly held my hand.  She was looking at me weirdly so I diverted my eyes from her. She held me tighter so I blushed.  I couldn't even move on from her touch. It was like every contact we made was always a first time.

"So this is your daughter?" Elric asked with a toothy smile so I gave him one in response.

Dad nodded, grinning from ear to ear. Elric offered his hand and I shook it with mine.

"You're beautiful just like Marissa and you've grown splendidly," he commented but I just smiled at him, saying thank you.  I was used to compliments like this so it wasn't new for me.

"I can see that your school is busy today," he observed turning to my Dad. 

"But can you give me time to talk to you about something?"

Dad nodded before he looked to Quinn then back to his long-time friend. "Of course."

I heard Quinn sighed beside me so I stared at her and she was now frowning.

My Dad excused themselves but before they have gone, Elric eyed my girlfriend with a serious expression.

We stood there together while the crowds cheered in the background.  I tugged her hand but Quinn pulled me back.  She was pouting, intertwining her hands with mine. Ughhh, cute!!