Chapter 58

Matt's POV

I looked in the mirror and adjusted my tie for about the tenth time. I hated wearing them, I felt like I was being strangled.

There was a knock on the door and I opened it. Josh was standing there.

"I'm going." he told me.

I nodded, not trusting myself to say anything to him.

Over the last few days I had watched this family self destruct, Josh had been drunk pretty much the whole time, I'd tried to talk to him but he wouldn't listen. Ana's dad was in complete denial, going about life like nothing had happened and Stacey, well, just the thought of her made me so angry.

I'd taken Ana around to see her and then had watched as Stacey had blamed her for everything, the worst, claiming Ana had been selfish and not letting her spend time with their mom.

I could feel myself getting angry again.

"Ana, hurry up." I called a little too harshly.

"I'm coming." she said opening the bathroom door. "Don't be angry."

I pulled her into my arms and kissed the top of her head.

"I'm not angry at you." I told her. "Let's go."

I grabbed the keys and started down the stairs, halfway down I turned back and Ana was just standing at the top.

"I can't. " she whispered.

I walked back up and took her hand "You can and you will."

I put my arm around her and guided her to the car, I opened the door and she got in, I went around and climbed in my side and took her hand. I smiled at her and started the car. I leant over and kissed her before I started driving.

I hated every moment of this, Ana was so devastated and I had to sit here and watch her die a little inside everyday. I wasn't going to let it happen.

We arrived at the church and I pulled up, people were standing around or going in.

By the time I got out Ana was already standing beside the car. I took her hand.

"Ready?" I asked.

She shook her head and looked at me, suddenly she said "Don't leave me."

Where had this come from? Where did she think I was going? And why did she think I would leave her?

I pulled her into my arms and held her. "Why would you think that?" I asked her.

She didn't answer me.

"Are you serious?" Stacey said approaching us, she had a look on her face that I didn't like and Martin had hold of her arm, trying to hold her back. "Your mother's dead body is in there and your out here having a makeout session."

Was she fucking serious?

"Are you fucking serious?" I asked her "Stay away." I told her and I led Ana to the church.

We walked in, it was pretty full. I led Ana to the front. I saw the guys sitting there with Lilah,  they all had their sunglasses on.

We sat down with Ana's dad, Josh , her grandparents and Stacey, who thankfully wasn't next to us.

I looked up and saw the coffin and I felt sick. Why did this happen?

I put my arm around her and pulled her close.

"You okay?" I whispered.

She looked at me and nodded. Of course she wasn't okay, what a stupid question.

I kissed her nose then leant down and whispered in her ear, "I love you Ana, alright? Don't ever forget it."

She put her head on my chest as the priest walked in.