Chapter 21

Vera's POV

Cameron pulls up to the curb of the mansion, putting the car into park.

            "Vera?" he asks.

                        "Yes Cam?"

            "I know you still have feelings for Colin, I get it. But I want you to know that he isn't who you think he is," he pauses, "A week or so ago I saw him in one of the private rooms at this club, with Lauren," he says quietly. My breathing halts.

                        "Why are you telling me this?" I ask quickly, suddenly wishing to turn around and go back home.

            "Because, you need to know who he really is, and there's a lot more that you don't know about him," Cam says slowly. Before he can finish the valet is knocking on my window. Cam sighs. "I suppose we should go now," he says. I nod uneasily, grabbing my golden clutch before the valet opens my door.

            The mansion is immaculately decorated with hanging lights and matching twinkly décor. The trees lining the lawn are lit brightly with beaming little golden bulbs. Couples walk arm in arm to the entrance, all in their best formal wear. I move along the walkway, my arm in Cameron's. We both decided to wear cream and gold. My dress is long, glowing, cream colored with a gold-jeweled halter collar. Cameron wears a cream colored blazer, with a gold toned dress shirt under.

            "Wow, you guys look great!" Rebecca's voice comes from behind. She reaches out to hug me, holding me in a tight embrace. "Vera," She whispers into my ear so Cam can't hear. "Colin said to meet him out back on the terrace," she whispers. She pulls away from me smiling and looking down at my dress.

            "What?" I ask. She smiles and acknowledges Cam, continuing like she didn't hear my question. I stand in disbelief. This asshole really thinks I want to meet him after his little rendezvous with Lauren?

            "Let's go Vera, I'm pretty sure the dinner is starting," Cam says, gesturing towards the main door.

            "Yes, let's," I say emphatically, grabbing his arm and pulling him forward. Colin thinks he can order me around like one of his dumbass hoes? Really? Really? I grind my teeth in irritation as we walk through the doorway.

************************

Vera's POV

            The entire entranceway is filled with people mingling and drinking. A bright chandelier hangs in the middle of the hall, right above the staircase leading to the second floor. I walk through with Cam, greeting people and making small talk. My mind drifts back to Colin. I feel hurt, deceived, and most of all used. He made love to me after making love to Lauren in a private room at a club? My imagination shapes the idea, images of Lauren and Colin dancing through my head. I feel tears brimming in my eyes, but blink them back. Now is not the time, I scold myself. You should be over him by now.... The knot in my throat however, proved otherwise.

            "Would you like something to drink?" Cam asks. His voice brings me out of my thoughts.

            "I would like something to drink. Maybe some punch?" I ask politely. Cam takes my hand and kisses it before disappearing into the crowd. I hang against the wall, watching people laugh and drink. I wonder if Colin is out on the terrace. If so, good. Hopefully it starts raining out there too.

            "Well look who we have here," Lauren's voice clears my thoughts of vengeance on Colin. She sashays in front of me, holding a champagne glass and downing it before raising a perfectly arched brow. She's wearing a skin tight red dress, the skirt far above her knees. "It's Vera," she says in a high-pitched voice.

I am so not in the mood for this right now. I start walking the other direction, but she digs her nails into my shoulder, pulling me back.

            "I had fun with your booboo the other night. He loves alllllll of this," she lets go of my shoulder, rubbing her hand along her waist and backside. I look down at my shoulder where she grabbed me, then back to her. As if on cue, a waiter walks past me with a tray of champagne glasses. I reach for one, and without thinking, pour the entire glass over Lauren's head. She gasps loudly. My eyes narrow, anger rising in my throat.

            "First of all, if you ever touch me again, I will rearrange your fucking face. Second, if Colin wants to play Captain Save-A-Hoe, that's none of my business. And third, that dress doesn't look too flattering on you booboo, maybe next time go with something that doesn't make you look like a desperate whore," I snap. Lauren looks at me in complete shock before turning to push her way through a crowd of people around the main door.

            "What was that all about?" Cam appears with two glasses of punch, handing me one.

            "What? Lauren?" I ask innocently.

                        "Yeah, I thought I saw her running from you in tears," Cam says. I shake my head, looking oblivious to what he's talking about.

            "You know how emotional girls can be sometimes," I take a sip of my punch. I definitely just pulled a Leah. Leah would have done the same thing, except she would have dragged Lauren across the entrance floor to throw her out of the main door.

            "Okay, well they're getting ready to do the toast soon, so we should head towards the main part of the event," Cam offers me his arm and I take it once again, my hands jittery from what I'd just done. We walk through more throngs of people before hitting the ballroom, where everyone's gathered around Coach Harbaugh. Guests hold their glasses up, as individuals offer toasts of praise and congratulations to different coaches. We raise our non-alcoholic drinks as well, clinking our glasses, and taking sips to everyone's kind words.

            Coach Harbaugh raises his glass for the umteenth time, motioning for the room to quiet down.

"I would also like to personally thank our team leader, our quarterback, Colin Kaepernick. For not only being an amazing leader to this football program, but for being a person of character, a man we can all look up to," everyone raises their glasses. Colin comes up to stand beside Coach Harbaugh, who put his arm around Colin's shoulder. I feel my face redden at the sight of him. He's in a classic black suit, with a bow tie, the collar glistening beneath the light of the chandelier. He smiles, raising a glass. Why is this man so beautiful? As he raises his glass, he scans the crowd, his eyes resting on me. I duck away from his view, handing Cam my glass of punch.

            "I, uh.....have to go to the bathroom," I say quickly. I need to get out of here, away from Colin. Cam grabs my drink but before he can say anything I'm excusing myself through crowds of guests. I make my way back to the staircase, pulling aside a waiter.

            "Excuse me, where is the restroom?" I ask quickly. He points up the stairs.

"Right up there, down the hall, first door on your left. There's an even more private one on the third floor, first door on the left," he says politely. I thank him and rush up the stairs. Thank God I chose to wear flats. I step up and up, making my way to the third floor. This house is freaking huge. I feel like I'm in Hogwarts. The bathroom isn't hard to find and I rush in, quickly closing the door behind me.

            The restroom is huge, the size of the living room in mine and Leah's apartment. I make my way across the floor, towards a large sink. Leaning on the counter I try to gather myself. Cam is right. I do still have feelings for Colin. Even after all the crap with Lauren. A part of me still wants him. To touch him, to hold him, to kiss him once more. I shut those feelings down, knowing that I shouldn't entertain them. I'm not going to allow myself to be that girl. The weak one who falls for the player. Not me. I turn the faucet of the sink, letting the cool water run over my hands. I need to relax,  happy that I'd come to come have a moment to myself. Most definitely needed it. Turning the faucet off I hear the door behind me open.

            Colin comes into the bathroom, slowly closing and locking the door behind him. I feel my jaw drop as I slowly back against the sink.