The Only Reason

*His POV and MAJOR SADNESS I’M SORRY*

Michael: 

Was it even worth it?" "Can I get some of that Kung Pao Chicken please?" I ask the Panda Express worker, and then grab my Styrofoam box of greasy Chinese food to go when I see you sitting eating your favorite food and I freeze. And then, before I can think, I walk over to you. "Hey." I greet and you look up, surprised. "Oh hey Mikey-al." You try to cover then blush. "Mind if I sit?" I ask before I think. "Go ahead." We sit in awkward silence until we both say "So how’s it go-" and cut ourselves off. "I-I should go." I go to stand when I hear you whisper, "Was it worth it?" "Was what worth it?" I hover over my seat. "Was it even worth it for us to throw away our friendship over a relationship that only lasted a year?" I want to shout Only a year? You were the best thing that ever happened to me and we both threw it away because we couldn’t fucking handle relationships anymore? It’s bullshit. I loved you, I love you and we haven’t even talked in months and I’m miserable. But I don’t say that. I just get out.

Luke:

 All the crossed wires making us tired.” It’s 3 in the morning in Germany and I wake up to my ringtone for you. Rushing to answer it as quickly as possible and hide in the hotel bathtub to not wake the boys. “Y/N, do you have any idea what time it-” You sniffle and I stop talking. “That’s why I’m calling! We can never talk because you’re a world away from me. You’re off touring and I’m at school and this just isn’tworking anyore. I can’t do this, Luke.” My mouth literally drops and I struggle to say, “Wait, babe, hold on-” “I can’t.” You say, the crying getting worse and my heart breaking as you continue, “I can’t keep waiting and holding and crossing my fingers to get a fucking text from you. I’m sorry I can’t do this anymore. We’re over.” I hear you burst into sobs as you hang up. Hours later, Mike finds me still sitting in the bathtub clutching my phone. “Luke?? What the fuck?” “She’s gone… we’re over.”

Ashton:

 I swear my heart is never giving up.” It’s almost midnight and I’m running down the street to your place. And when I finally get there, I knock harshly on the door until you answer, looking all cute in your pajamas and I damn near get distracted by the way that tee hangs off your body. You sigh, bringing me back, “What do you want, Ash? I told you-” “Y/N, we can’t be over. Especially over something as minuscule as me going on tour-” “Minuscule?” You repeat, incredulous. “Yes, minuscule. Because I will always love you. Nothing and no one will change my mind because you’re youand no one else is that. I have four days before tour takes off, and I won’t stop until you’re my girlfriend.” I say in one breath and take a breather as you stand in awed shock. “Just figured I’d warn you.” I wink, and go back to mine.

Calum: 

"When I close my eyes and try to sleep, I fall apart" "Stop drinking coffee." Ash takes the Starbucks cup from me, and I just sigh and let him because I’m too fucking tired. They all share a look. "Cal-" Luke starts but I interrupt, suddenly heated, "What? What do you have to say?! Nothing you can say will make Y/N better! She’s sick and all I can hear is her voice telling me she’s scared over and over. My only reason for happiness is dying and I just-” I stop as thoughts of all the sleepless nights I’ve spent dreaming nightmares of horrible scenarios where you aren’t in this world with me keep me from going to sleep as I watch you pale and frail on the hospital bed. I’m broken from my thoughts when I’m wrapped in a hug from all my best friends as tears escape my eyes. “It’ll be okay.” Mike says, but I don’t think I can believe him.