Chapter XLI: Another Shot

After the unexpected confrontation with Bianca and Darcy, the petite biologist distant herself from Dylan and Timothy. All her queries were directed to Engr. Terrence Leonardo and this instances weren't lost on the young CEO.

Often times, they were confided in a room having close-door meeting with no one else but the two of them. And during these times, Timothy was over and beyond jealous although he knew that he has no right to feel such emotion.

"Man, do you know that Sabina might already have a new boyfriend?" The young CEO asked Terrence. They were still both in bed since it's too early to get up.

The still sleepy engineer, perked up at this. "Really? What makes you think that? So far, she hadn't mentioned anything about that matter and we two are talking almost everyday." He sat up on his bed and rest his back against the headboard.

Timothy's mind flew to their last Baguio weekend, the mestizo guy in the coffee shop, hotel restroom and in the golf course. "Remember, when we went to Baguio? I saw her there." He disclosed as he inhaled unsteadily.

"And?" Terrence was all awake now, eagerly waiting for his best friend to pressed on with his story.

Drawing another unsteady deep breath, Timothy continued. "I saw her with the mestizo guy from the coffee shop. Do you recall that late morning?" He looked at him.

The kind engineer nodded his head. "You mean it was really her, the petite woman that we saw inside the Starbucks at John Hay?"

This time, it was Timothy's turn to nod his head. "I saw them again together the very next day at breakfast and in the hotel lobby, then when I took a long walk after our 3-hour game with papa and his friends, I found the two of them wandering around the field." He averted his gaze and tilted his head, maybe to blinked the stubborn tears away.

"Are you sure about this? I mean, have you watched them? What made you think that they are together?" The kind engineer pried.

"I sort of heard their conversation in the hotel lobby, the guy was really very protective and caring. She was never out of his sight, he even waited for her outside the ladies' restroom. Afterwards, I saw them walking around and the whole time the guy was holding an umbrella over her head to shield her from the sun." He shared as his breathing became erratic and shallow.

Timothy looked at his best friend again. "That very moment man, I realized how inadequate I am, how useless and worthless I am and how undeserving I am. I wasn't able to protect and care for her that way. I took her for granted, thinking that she will always be there waiting for me. I failed to see all her sacrifices and pain because I was too focused on how to gain the approval of my own mother. And then, the guilt and my own fear over Darcy's "planned accident" made me blind and that was the last straw. After that she gave up and everything was lost." Without warning, his tears began to fall.

"Chill, man. Did you sleep well?" Terrence asked to divert his best friend's attention. Timothy looked haunted and disturbed and this made the young engineer worry more.

But his effort and words were futile, Timothy ignored him and went on. "The way my mother treated her before were really degrading and humiliating and yet she endured them all. She always listen to the empty words I say and with eyes closed, she swallowed her pride and principles for me. No wonder, Maggie still refuse to talk to me until now. She knew everything and as a woman I know she fully understand Sab."

"She also told me that she lost herself in our relationship because she was trying so hard to make it work and to understand my situation but in the end it drained her and I know perfectly why. Because I was stupid and gutless, I let my mother and Darcy manipulate me. Because I was selfish, I let the guilt and fear consume me." He wiped his tears, not bothering to hide it from his best friend.