Chapter XXVIII: Desperate Move

Terrence Jade Leonardo entered Timothy's spacious office and sat slowly on one of the chairs in front of his desk. He was carrying a thick Manila envelope which contains another report from the DEC people regarding the case of the Dela Vegas of the north.

"Anything new? Did they found the daughter?" The young CEO asked his engineer best friend forwardly.

In response, the young engineer shook his head. "No and they can't get anything about her. No legal papers or even school records could be found. They told me that it seemed someone was hindering all their efforts. The woman who promised the photograph disappeared then later on, they found out that she was out of town. According to one of her nieces, she went back in her hometown in the mountainous area of Candon, Ilocos Sur so they weren't able to meet her." He explained.

From the corner of his eyes, he studied his best friend's face. "Dude tell me, what is your real plan after you find the daughter? What do you want from her?" Terrence asked.

Now that Timothy was happy, suddenly it seemed that his effort in finding his deceased brother's intended was a waste of time. "Truthfully TJ, before I wanted to find her because I wanted closure. I wanted to know the reason why they didn't even bother to show up at my brother's wake nor to his interment. Why didn't they initiate a talk after my brother died? They just disappeared and since then, they never made any communication with our family." He began.

"Nicholas took his own life because of that stupid arrangement and the other party's sudden disappearance was a big question to me. In a way his intended was a part of the whole tragedy so I wanted to see her. I wanted to know if she's happy? If she's well? Back then, I always thought that she must pay, she needed to suffer just like the way we suffered. She doesn't deserve to live a happy life. Nicholas died so she should suffer, too." Timothy stared at his best friend, silently asking if he got his sentiment.

"That's insane, man!" Terrence blurted out so he raised his hand to cut his friend's words.

When the young engineer nodded his head he pushed on. "I know but I guess, I wanted someone to blame then since I was unhappy. From our investigation and my calculations, the woman would be far older than Nick, my brother was 17 then so she must be 21 or 22 then or even older. I couldn't accept that the woman got to live her life while my brother didn't. But today, all were lighter and easier in a flash. The heaviness disappeared so I'm having second thought if we should continue this or not. What do you think?" He asked.

The young man knew the reason of his best friend's sudden change of heart but he kept it to himself. "Just a thought Tim, I don't think that you should blame your brother's intended for his death. For all we know, maybe they are both victims here. It's between your parents so give the woman the benefit of the doubt, man, in the spirit of fairness."

In times like this, expect Terrence to the the voice of reason and this was the main reason why the two men are best of friends.

"And please stop this investigation. I guess, it's time for you to let go man. If you need closure then by all means find the woman but please don't blame all these on her." He didn't know what possessed him to say these words but he was glad he have said them.

"Thank you, TJ. I guess your right." He replied while nodding his head. Voicing out his acceptance and approval made him feel a lot lighter and happier.