Chapter XIX: Crystal Clear

Two days have passed since Timothy flew to Paris and for Sabina those two days seemed like eternity. The young biologist spent the last 48 hours working hard, all her pending paper works were almost finished and she was praying hard that loads of work would come. The busyness will help her silence her mind.

Timothy called a hundred times but the petite woman had no intention of answering it. What the young heir did was still unacceptable. She was deeply hurt with his actions, he should have told her.

Sabina was a broad-minded young lady so she would have understood if Timothy had just been honest with her from the very start. This whole fiasco made her realized how Timothy thought of her.

Does he really think so poorly of me? That I'll react like a violent jealous girlfriend? She often asked this questions to herself nowadays.

A loud alarm chimed so Sabina looked up at the clock mounted on the glass room wall, it says 7:00 o'clock. She started to clear her table and stretched, suddenly she felt ravenous and remembered that yet again, she had skipped lunch.

Timothy would be mad if he finds out, she thought awry. A painful twinge pulsed in waves inside her chest so she shook her head to brush off the thought.

Due to exhaustion she had no more energy to cook so she decided to eat dinner outside before going home. She closed the glass door behind her and walked out of the long ago deserted office.

At the elevator she met Timothy's best buddy, Terrence. "Hey, Sab." The young engineer greeted her warmly. He pressed the open button until Sabina was safely inside.

"Hi." Sabina replied briefly, she looked at her watch thinking if it wasn't too late to call Patricia and James for a late dinner.

"It's already 7:00 o'clock, why are you still here?" The man asked while glancing at his own wrist watch.

"I needed to finish something." She responded briefly.

Terrence noticed the woman's sad and tired demeanor and instantly, he thought of his best friend. She's missing him, he realized.

An idea flew into his head. "You looked exhausted. How are you, Sab?" He began.

The lady gave him a timid smile. "Starving, actually." She replied without thinking.

"I know a place, a couple of blocks from here, they serve the best tacos and burritos in town. Want to have dinner with me? I'm kind of hungry, too!" The engineer suggested subtly, giving the woman the option.

Sabina was having second thoughts about the man's invitation but then Terrence was a friend and a very good one, in fact he was almost like an older brother to her. The young woman knew that there was nothing wrong if she had dinner with his boyfriend's best friend so she nodded in agreement.

"Game! Let's go!" She said, trying to sound more cheerful to hide her grim mood.

Terrence grinned widely. "We can walk from here to avoid the heavy traffic, what do you think?" He asked while looking at her signature black stiletto.

"Can those manage?" He added while pointing at her feet using his puckered lips.

Sabina smiled and gave the man another nod. "Oh don't worry, I just put this on. I wore my office slipper the whole day so I guess, I'm okay."

The duo walked from the office to the Mexican joint that Terrence what talking about. Upon entering the place they immediately ordered their food and found a corner table for two.