Chapter 42

Laura's POV

So that's exactly what I did. I waited.

I felt conceited in a strange way, feeling like maybe I was pressuring him to do something out of fear instead of love. Although I know whatever he had planned was HIS decision or HIS idea, but still.

Three more weeks until this tour would come to an end. Three more weeks until everything would settle back to the way it was. At least, that's what I thought would happen...

We traveled to different parts of Europe, which was pretty amazing. Rydel and I had a blast at all the little boutiques and dress shops that were in town. We picked out a few outfits to wear, Rydel obviously wanting to change up her look and me just shopping because I wanted to.

Ross and I haven't talked much since our little argument.

We casually glance at each other here and there but no real one on one conversation has ensued.

I could see the wheels turning in his head each time I would watch him. First he'd look at me, sit in a corner on the bus and then strum his guitar. Then I would see him write something down on a piece of paper.

Must be part of his idea...

There was one night in particular where I couldn't go to sleep. My mind just couldn't shut up. I decided the best way to fall asleep was to sit on the couch in the back of the bus while curling up with a good book. I dozed off 20 minutes later.

Ross's POV

It was 2:30am when I felt myself falling off the bed.

I groaned and lazily got up.

Thank goodness I was on the bottom bunk, the fall wasn't nearly as bad as the top would've been.

Laura's bed was vertically across from mine. I quickly glanced at everyone sleeping but she wasn't there.

Before I could panic, I noticed a shadowed figure in the back of the bus. I sat down next to it and realized it was Laura, with a book by her side half open.

Dork.

I took a closer look at her face and realized how nice she actually looked in the dimmed moonlight.

I don't think she realized I was mad at myself, not at her. She was right. That's why I told her I would prove her wrong.

Today is the day I would fulfill that promise.

I left her a note and watched her read it at her awakening.

Dear Laura,

Tonight is the night. Be ready.

~Ross

She looked at me confused, but with a slight smile on her face. I passed her a wink and carried on with the day.

She'd told me before how Paris would be her favorite place to go and now that we're here, happiness would run through her vains like bursts of electricity. Especially after what I would do tonight.

So while her and Rydel went shopping with my mom, I gathered the guys and told them my plan for tonight. They all agreed to help and I got started with the details.

No ones POV

As Rydel, Laura, and Stormie Lynch ventured around the city, the rest of R5 got the stage ready for tonight's concert.

The girls met them later on at the venue and started to help as people started to file in.

Laura's POV

I can't believe I'm in Paris! Who would've known? Ah! I'm so happy, but I'm so anxious at the same time. Ross said to 'be ready' but what does that mean? I guess I'll just have to wait.

Two hours later and their last song was played but, they didn't bow at the end. I saw Ross take a microphone from Riker and started to hush down the crowd of excited fans.

"Hey everybody! Hope you guys had a good time with us tonight! But before you leave, we have one last very special performance for you."

He had a sparkle in his eye and looked at me.

"I'm going to be singing a special duet with someone who is not only talented, but someone who's kind, and funny, and beautiful in every way imaginable. I don't care if you guys support me or not. I don't care if my followers on Twitter disappear. My life isn't going to depend on my popularity. It's going to depend on my happiness. She's my best friend and the reason I wake up each day. Please welcome Laura Marano!"

I heard the crowd cheer and applaud. I even heard some shouting 'Raura'. At least these people are supportive!

Ross led me to a stole and handed me a mic. I sat there and realized I didn't know the song he wanted to sing with me! I think he saw my anxious looks.

He leaned over. "Hey, it's your favorite song. You know this by heart."

He started strumming the guitar. It was Elton Johns, "Your Song" and was my absolute favorite. I started singing the first verse.

"It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside

I'm not one of those who can easily hide

I don't have much money, but boy if I did

I'd buy a big house where we both could live"

Ross sang the next verse and looked at me as he sang.

"If I was a sculptor, but then again, no

Or a man who makes potions in a traveling show

I know it's not much, but it's the best I can do

My gift is my song, and this one's for you"

We ended up singing the chorus together (aka my favorite part!)

"And you can tell everybody this is your song

It may be quite simple, but now that it's done

I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words

How wonderful life is while you're in the world"

The rest of the song was sung and the crowd was silent and still, like they were watching something beautiful take place. Indeed it was.

Ross's plan was a success and yes, he proved me wrong.

I had tears in my eyes as I heard the crowd roar with excitement. I was so overwhelmed.

We finally made our way backstage and I wrapped my arms around his neck. We finally pulled away and he looked at me with a genuine sparkle in his eye, something I haven't seen before. I felt him grip my wrist and gently pull me in a dark corner. His hands were placed gently around my face and before I knew it, a pair of warm, enveloping lips were placed on mine. Those same sparks from our first kiss were there.

That's when I realized, it was back. No, WE were back. Everything we've gone through, everything we've worked for, led up to this moment.

And I wouldn't trade it for the world.