Chapter 38

Laura's POV

Why? That was my only question. Why? How could someone you love and trust so deeply do such a thing? After all I've done for him...

I sniffled a few times before heading back to my place. I went out to the backyard and took a seat on a swinging bench, clutching my pea coat tighter to me as a breeze passed by. I was numb about the whole situation. I was emotionally paralyzed so it seemed.

I knew Vanessa was home, I just didn't want her to see me like this. But soon enough she did. I heard her call my name softly as she took a seat next to me.

"Laura, are, are you okay? How'd it-"

She put a hand on my knee and that's when I cut off her words with my embarrassing sobs of disappointment and heartache. She held me as I cried and didn't say a word. She knew no words would be valued so I cried until I could cry no more.

Rydel's POV

Wow. Just, wow. Huh, my brother is an idiot.

We were back on the bus. Chelsea left after she saw Laura. Ross ran to the bus and locked himself in a closet.

I'm not sure if Ross felt bad but he should. He came out a few minutes later with his hood over his head. I approached him.

"I hope you realized what you did was wrong."

"You think I didn't know that? You know, I didn't even know Chelsea was going to be here tonight!"

"Well that doesn't give you an excuse for what just happened!"

"Just leave me alone!"

We walked in separate directions and I said one last thing.

"We're only here for another day so you better make things right with Laura."

He heard me and walked outside.

Ross's POV

I pondered over what happened. I know Rydel is right like always, but I didn't want her to be. I've never done something so devious in my life. Cheating on Laura was never my intention. I was just, lonely.

How am I supposed to fix this?

Laura's POV

After all my tears were spilled, I told Vanessa what happened and pretty soon I went to bed. I gained a headache from all of this drama so sleep was very important at the moment.

*Next morning*

I felt a lot better when I woke and made myself breakfast. After I cleared the plates I heard a tap at the door. Who could be here so early? I looked through the peep hole and saw the person I didn't want to see at all. Yep, it was Ross.

Vanessa was standing across the way and looked at me while shrugging.

I signaled to her I'll be upstairs and to tell him I'm not available.

I quickly ran upstairs into my room and left my door cracked slightly so I could hear what was going on.

Vanessa's POV

I opened the door and saw Ross standing there. He gave a weak smile and I gave him a glare in return.

"Look Vanessa, I know you probably know what happened at the concert but I really need to talk to Laura."

"She's not available at the moment but I'll tell her you stopped by. So goodbye!"

I almost shut the door on his face until he stopped it almost instantly.

His voice became a slight whisper.

"Please Vanessa, I'm only here for today and that's it. I need to make this right."

"Fine..."

I let him in and pointed upstairs. He gave a slight nod and made his way to her room. Laura is going to be steamed, that's a given.

I decided to leave for a few hours. It was probably best for the both of us.

Laura's POV

I didn't hear what Ross whispered, but soon I heard the door close and heard (what I was hoping to be) Vanessa coming up the stairs.

A hand slightly knocked on the door and I got up and opened it. I pretty much froze in my steps and screamed.

"Ahhh!!"

I slammed the door as hard as I could and heard a loud thump.

"Ah, ouch... Gosh."

Whoops. Must've slammed the door on his head. It was Ross and now I heard him groaning in pain.

He deserved that!

A part of me wanted to help him but I held back, waiting for what would happen next.

Ross's POV

My head is throbbing at the moment. Gosh Laura. Just had to slam the door on my head.

I talked to her through the door. "Laura please let me explain. My head may be in major pain but that's not going to make things better. I just need to talk to you."

She swooshed the door open and stomped out of her room. I felt her vigorously grip my wrist and pull me outside on a bench. Her arms crossed.

"Okay, talk."

"First and foremost, I am so sorry about what I did and that you had to see that. Um, a month before last nights concert, I was really upset. I missed you and the reason I didn't call you was because the sound of your voice would only make me miss you more. So, Riker invited that fan you saw to hang with us and she, she reminded me of you. I didn't want to be lonely so I started talking to her. I guess if you want me to explain the kiss, I don't know. I just-"

She cut me off and whispered,

"Couldn't hold off long enough?"

"Yeah...and I want you to understand that. I didn't have any real feelings for her. I just- I'm so sorry."

"I understand what you're saying. Um, something happened here too."

"What is it?"

"You remember Cody Christian?"

I nodded.

"I liked him before I met you and after you left Raini and I went shopping. She invited Cody to hang with us and he kept giving me glances and at the end of our time he gave me his number. I never called it. Apparently he had mine so I got a call from him asking to hang out more. It was tempting because I knew I'd have him to get my mind off of you. But guess what Ross? I told him I'd never do that to you. That I'd never do anything like that-"

She choked up and looked down.

She stayed strong. Why couldn't I do the same?

I felt a few tears stream down from my eyes and I took her hands into mine."Laura, I-I know what I did was wrong. And I know that you don't trust me right now and you're scared but I also know that life is full of second chances."

She looked up at me.

"What are you saying?"

I looked into her soul and desperately replied,

"Will you give me a second chance?"