Chapter 27

Ross's POV

The rest of my family was outside. Before I called them in, I decided to grab a wash cloth and wipe away as much blood as possible that was dripping off of Laura's hair. Each time I touched an area around the wound, she would wince and squeeze her eyes tightly together.

"Shh. I'm just cleaning off the blood. It's ok."

She barely sounded out a few words that made my heart sad.

"Ross...it hurts." Her body started shaking again and a single tear fell. I knew she was scared and shaken up by this accident. My poor baby was hurt and there was nothing I could do about it.

"I know baby. Shh. Rest. I'm getting help."

I hurried with cleaning off all the blood and called out to my family.

I was on the verge of tears. "Guys! Get in here, NOW!"

Suddenly I heard multiple feet scurrying to where I was. There chatter and laughter came to a halt when they saw Laura and her visible pain laying helplessly on the couch.

Riker: "W-What happened?"

Rydel: "Is she ok?"

Rocky: "Ahh! Laura!?"

Ratliff: "Yeah what DID happen?"

Ryland: *Just stares at Laura wide eyed*

There shocked reactions were in unison with each other.

"Guys! No time for questions! She could be seriously injured!"

Riker, being the oldest, spoke up.

"Ok! Everybody calm down. We're all going to get Laura to the hospital."

Everyone was just standing there.

"NOW!"

My siblings (including Ratliff) finally sprung into action. Riker, Rocky, and I were the ones to carefully carry Laura into the back seat of our car while the rest of the gang hopped in the vehicle.

Riker decided to drive and I sat in the back with Laura, letting her rest upon my shoulder. I reassured her everything was going to be okay while I gave her tiny kisses on her cheek. That made her stop shaking for a while and I felt her body start to relax.

We arrived at the hospital nearly 10 minutes later and got out quickly. I gently scooped up Laura and briskly walked to the front entrance to the emergency room.

My brothers, Ratliff, and Rydel went to the front desk and since there weren't many people waiting, Laura got in about 5 minutes later.

So the waiting begins. My family sat around me and started questioning me about Laura's accident again. My as well tell them now!

"Well basically when I came into the house, I heard a loud bang. I searched the living room until I saw Laura at the bottom of the staircase curled up in a ball, shaking and crying. I found a gash in the back of her head too."

Everyone started to slowly nod there heads and say things like, "Oh wow. She must be in a lot of pain." and, "Aw man, I'm sorry bro."

We waited for about an hour and a doctor came to us. He was your average doctor. Short brown hair, tall, and spectacles he used to see his clipboard.

"Hi. I'm Dr. Smith. Are you Ross and his family?"

"Yes. Yes we are. So is Laura ok? How is she? Have any injuries?"

Rocky chuckled at my response.

"Woah bro. Calm down!"

Dr. Smith slightly smiled. "Oh my! You have a very energetic family. Well Ross, to answer your questions she is ok and I've stitched up the gash in her head. Her only injury is her leg. She twisted it. It should be better in a few weeks but I'm going to bandage it and put her on crutches and bed rest. Lots of bed rest. She's going to have minor head aches for a few days from the impact she took."

Everybody sighed and smiled in relief it wasn't anything major.

He spoke again and said,"Oh! She will need someone by her side a few hours everyday to assist her with the basic needs. She can go home now actually!"

"Sweet! Thank you doctor! We will take good care of her."

Riker turned to me and smirked,"You mean you'll take good care of her."

He knew I was the one who was going to take care of her. I responded with a hint of sarcasm. "Yes Riker, yes I will."

Laura was still too weak to walk so she came out in a wheelchair. Rocky held on to the crutches that were given to us and I wheeled Laura out to our car and carried her back inside the car. I had the doctor keep the wheelchair because, well, I enjoyed carrying her.

The ride back home was silent but peaceful. I whispered into Laura's ear information the doctors had told us. I saw her slightly smiling as she had her eyes closed.

I smiled too as I looked down and whispered,"Hey, what are you smiling about?"

She carefully turned her head and leaned over to whisper in my ear,"Because...I like it when you whisper in my ear. It's nice."

I grinned and stroked her hair the rest of the ride home. I could tell the rest of my family was tired based on their yawns and sleepy eyes.

As soon as we pulled into the driveway, everybody scrambled out and headed to their designated rooms. I heard goodnights here and there throughout the house as I carried Laura bridal style into my room.

The house was dark and as I was about to place Laura on my bed, she wrapped herself tightly around me, making it impossible to set her down. Her words were barely audible as she spoke.

"No."

"No?"

"Ross, no. Don't leave me."

"Sweetie, I'm just setting you on my bed. I'm not leaving you."

She finally let me set her down and tuck her in. I crawled in next to her and she snuggled her head against my chest and wrapped her arm snuggly around my torso. I played with her hair.

"Do you mean that?"

"Yes. I mean that."

"Okay."

"No. Don't say ok. I don't want you to worry about me leaving you every day. You're beautiful inside and out and you are more precious to me than anything. I'm here to stay because..."

Laura's POV

My heart was melting. Then he paused.

I whispered and came closer. "Because what Ross?"

He looked at me with such sincerity and admiration. He took my face in his hands and looked me straight in the eyes. My heart pounded.

"Because Laura. Because I love you."

I felt tears well up in my eyes for I saw him fight tears as well.

"R-Ross..."

"I mean it Laur."

"I. I love you too Ross."

My heart was pounding even faster as I saw a big grin appear on his face and he inched closer, his face towering over mine. He was looking deep into my eyes and down at my lips. Then back to my eyes and down again. We were about to have our first real kiss! I did the same thing as we almost touched lips.

He finally closed the space and gently pressed his lips against mine. They were warm and soft tasted like honey. Butterflies started swirling all around my stomach and I got chills through my spine. Despite all the pain I was feeling, this was the best medicine.

We finally parted with grins on our faces. I snuggled closer to his chest and he kissed my forehead.

"Goodnight Laura."

"Goodnight Ross."

By surprise, we both said quickly in unison,

"I love you."