Chapter 41

Ross's POV

I noticed after awhile that these fans weren't really talking to Laura, but instead harassing her. She was pushed up against the wall with a line of fear across her face.

As soon as they heard me shout, the girls scrambled away which left Laura, who now seemed hurt and confused.

What did they say to her?

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm here now."

I rubbed my thumbs over her shoulders and her eyes started darting around the room.

"I-I need some air..."

I let go of her and watched her hustle to the bus.

Huh, interesting.

Instead of joining her, I decided I would wait awhile. Let her sort out her thoughts.

I went back to the signing table.

Laura's POV

What's wrong with those girls? I mean, who does that? Ugh!

I stomped around the bus trying to steam off some of the anger that was inside of me. Me, being clumsy and careless, ended up stubbing my toe on the edge of a bunk bed.

Silently, I kept in my whimpers of temporary pain and positioned myself on a love seat.

What did I ever do to deserve that kind of treatment? I mean, I have all the respect in the world for Maia! And whatever Ross decides to do, they should all respect his decision.

Now, as far as 'influencing' Ross, that actually might be a possibility.

Which possibly means...fans could actually persuade his thoughts. This could effect everything! That INCLUDES our relationship.

Great, just great.

Ross's POV

I wanted to sneak out of the venue before my siblings joined aboard the bus. Signing was just about over so I told my fellow band members I had to use the restroom when really, I just wanted to talk to Laura.

She was rubbing her toe and was statured upon a love seat when I arrived.

"Knock knock!"

I quietly came over and sat across from her. She passed me a weak smile.

"Hey."

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Oh, sort of, I guess. I mean, I stubbed my toe pretty hard on the bunk bed."

She stopped rubbing her toe and fiddled around with her fingers. Instead of speaking, I sat and looked her in the eyes with my fingers intertwined with each other, waiting for something more to be said.

I think she finally caught on. "Um, those fans were pretty rude to me."

"What did they say to you?"

"They were telling me to back off."

"Of me?"

"Yeah, and they said how I didn't deserve you cause of course, Maia Mitchell is WAY more talented than me and of course the fans can influence you and you'd do anything to make them happy. Yeah, no big deal."

Her tone was sarcastic but I could tell she was upset. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked away, hoping I wouldn't notice.

Man, if those girls were still here they wouldn't hear the end of this. Bitter rage built up inside of me. A question popped in my head.

I kept my tone steady. "So you believed what they said?"

Laura's POV

Not all of it...

"Well, not really. I mean, not everything they said was believable."

"So, what DID you believe?"

His tone was soft and I replied in the same way. "Well I mean, maybe the fans CAN influence you..."

I heard the defensiveness in his tone.

"Why would you say that?"

The answer was pretty simple. "Because Ross, it's happened before. Remember? That ONE fan influenced you. I can only imagine what a million fans can do. So why am I upset? Because what's the point of working on us if everybody else is telling you otherwise?"

I could see it in his eyes how upset he was. I wasn't sure if he was mad at me or himself but he was upset. Maybe I overstepped my boundaries, or I was 'too' honest. Now I felt bad...

"Ross, I-"

A single tear rolled down his face but he soon wiped it away while standing up.

His voice was shaky.

"I'm going to prove you wrong Laura. You just wait."