Chapter 31

Laura's POV

I snuggled my head closely to Ross's chest as both our tears quietly came to an end after what seemed like forever. We sat there in a comfortable silence for a few moments, each thinking of what to possibly say.

I looked up at Ross who was lost in thought but noticed my sudden glance. He passed over a weak smile and softly stroked my hair.

He finally managed to speak a few words. "Laura, just know that I need you as much as you need me."

"That's sweet Ross."

My eyes averted to the ground.

How am I supposed to possibly process all this? At the same time...

I feel partially bad. I shouldn't be selfish like this. I should be happy for him, right? It's the least I could do.

"Laura-"

I cut him off. "Ross, I'm happy for you. I really am."

I gazed at his eyes and gave a smile.

Ross tilted his head and looked...confused?

Ross's POV

After all of that, she was 'happy' for me?

"L-Laura, but you- you need me! You think I'm just going to go away for 4 or so months and not even take that into consideration?"

"Well of course you are! Just think about the positives, right? We're only going to be away from each other for 4 months...4 months..."

She looked down at her hands. That's when I realized she just didn't want me to worry about her. But what was I supposed to do? NOT care?

"Laura, look. I get the fact that you want me to be happy and all...but what about your injury?"

I paused. That caught her attention.

"What about, us?"

The light in her eyes was gone. I could tell. Like the words that were spoken took it away. She spoke flatly.

"Well yes. Of course I want you to be happy. About my injury? I have Vanessa or my mom. About us? Maybe this is good."

Good?! Has she lost her mind?! This isn't like Laura. She's either not being completely honest or someone gave her serious brain damage.

"Good? You think this is GOOD for us?!" I sarcastically chuckled and raised my voice a little. She didn't wince this time. Instead she came back with the same tone.

"Yes Ross! You know, I'd like to believe that this IS good! Don't you remember that one saying? 'Distance makes the heart grow fonder?'"

"Yes Laura! I've heard of that before! But..."I lowered my voice so this doesn't turn into a heated argument. "...What if that's not true for us? Huh? What if distance for us makes the heart grow weaker? Did you ever think of that?"

She seemed angry, or disappointed. Maybe both. "You know, at least I'm TRYING to be positive!"

That's when she abruptly got up, grabbed her crutches, and started to hop away.

I banged my head a few times against the tree and got up. I shouted out to Laura who was surprisingly a good distance away from me.

"Hey! Where are you going? Back to my place?"

She turned back and sarcastically replied,"Where do you think I was headed to? Narnia?"

Dork.

She still sounded tempered so I walked behind her 30 feet away. I wasn't scared or anything. It's just I feel like she needed some space. I'd only upset her more at this point. What did I even say to make her feel that way? I was only trying to tell her the truth about things! Well, she'll tell me what's up sooner or later. I hope. Or maybe I should apologize.

I shook off my thoughts as I heard a door opening and closing. I saw Laura enter the house. I entered soon after, hearing another door slam shut upstairs. Rydel was on the couch with the TV on but was looking down instead. I guess I should apologize to her first.

I sat near her on the couch and she looked up at me as if she was in trouble. She started to open her mouth when I cut in.

"Look, I'm sorry for the way I was acting earlier. I'm not mad at you. I'm just stressed about everything. Oh, and actually you telling her the news DID take a load off my shoulders. So thanks I guess."

She smiled and looked relieved. "Apology accepted. Thanks. I figured you were stressed. Is it about Laura?"

"You know me too well. Yeah, it is. Just, right when our relationship starts to take off, R5 gets this big opportunity!"

She seemed to understand. "Sometimes things happen unexpectedly, you know? But sometimes they happen for the best."

"Yeah. Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know. Oh yeah. There may be an upset Laura either in your room or the guest room. Just a heads up."

"Well I figured by the way she stomped up the stairs and slammed the door that she was upset. What happened anyhow?"

I explained to her what happened and how I was trying to be truthful about everything.

"Wait. I think I've heard enough. No wonder why she hopped away! Why were you being so negative?"

Oh... I guess I didn't realize that.

"Um. I didn't know I was. Thanks sis! I'm going to go try apologizing."

With that, I headed up the stairs.

Laura wasn't in Rydel's room, she ended up locking herself in the guest room.

Laura's POV

Ugh! I cannot believe Ross right now. I try to be his supportive girlfriend and what do I get?!

Here I am trying to keep him from not worrying about me and- and it's like he's trying to worry ME!

*knock* *knock*

Oh...great.