Chapter 26

Ross's POV

After all the plates were cleared, Laura decided to help Rydel clean the dishes. The rest of the family darted out into the backyard but I went upstairs instead.

As I passed by Rydel's room, I looked to see sleeping bags and other girl related items. Does that mean... Laura is staying the night?! Yes!

I smiled but it soon faded. She's probably here for Rydel. Or is she? Hmm.

I scrambled down the stairs and saw Laura washing off the remaining dishes. I tiptoed behind her and I quickly positioned my hands around her waist. She tensed up and looked behind her shoulder to find me grinning at her beautiful face. She relaxed and smiled.

"How's my little maid?"

Her hand turned the running sink off. She then reached for a towel to dry her hands.

"Oh so you think I'm your maid now huh?"

I just smirked at her sarcastic reply and grabbed the towel from her hands.

"Hey! Give it back!"

She started jumping as I hung the towel over my head and laughed. She jumped twice and crossed her arms, looking defeated.

"Ugh! Give. It. Back!"

I flung the towel over her face. "Oh! Someone's feisty!"

She just gave me a 'really?' type of look and hung the towel back to it's original placing.

"So anyways, I was passing by Rydel's bedroom and saw your stuff there. Are you staying the night?"

"Yep! Rydel sent me a text saying she wanted to hang with me, catch up! She never texts me but...I guess she wanted to have some time-"

Something clicked in my mind.

"Wait! I'll be back..."

I grabbed Riker and dragged him over to where Rydel was standing. They looked confused and curious but I knew something was up.

"Ok spill it. You two brought Laura over here on purpose."

Rydel rapidly replied,"Yeah! For a sleepover."

"Ok you rarely invite Laura over here and you just saw her this morning."

Riker's POV

Crap. He's on to us.

Ross turned his body towards me.

"Speaking of this morning..."

"Ok! Ok! You caught us! Yes, this morning at the table Rydel and I started planning how to get you two to spend more time together and this evening I told Rydel to invite her over for a sleepover."

"It's true. We didn't want to make you mad either. Actually, why are you mad? You should be thanking us!"

Ross had a more sincere look on his face."Guys! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you getting her over here but you could at least warn me she's coming! You know how I like to be presentable and whatnot!"

I spoke up."Well I guess you should be presentable at all times then!" I strutted behind him and patted him on the back as I walked away.

Rydel's POV

I looked into Ross's confused/amused face and left with one word.

"Buuurrnn!"

Laura's POV

As the big house was empty, with only me occupying it, I decided to go unpack a few more of my things.

A few minutes later I was done and started humming a tune to myself. One to fill the silence. This is how I got lost in my own world. Where nothing else matters or exists but the music.

That's when I reached the staircase. I started humming the same tune and halfway down the flight of stairs, my feet lost rhythm and slipped underneath me. I could feel my leg twist. I stumbled furiously down the stairs and not even 5 seconds later,

*BAM*

I slammed into the wall, hard. I felt most of the impact was carried to the back of my head and the rest to my back. I felt my heart beating rapidly, my body shaking, and tiny tears started escaping my eyes. I laid there motionless, for I feared moving would only make matters worse.

Ross's POV

I was halfway inside the house when I heard a loud bang. My heart started beating faster as I searched where the noise was from. That's when I heard someone quietly sobbing and groaning. It almost sounded like,

"LAURA!"

I found her in a curled up position against the wall, motionless.

I came by her side and saw tiny drops of blood on the wooden floor. They came from a tiny gash in her head. Her back was bruised too. I felt her body shaking and saw her teary eyes. That's when I carefully scooped her in my arms and gently placed her on the couch. She groaned in pain and I whispered in her ear, almost in tears myself.

"You're gonna be ok baby, I promise."