Chapter 45-Traitor within the ranks

Deborah watches the campers doing their usual business. It is taking a long time for Joshua to arrive back. I thought it would be easy for him. Paula sees the worried look on Deb's face and stands next to her. "He's alright. You have nothing to worry about."

She looks at Paula and smiles. "Of course he is. Why, he might already be here."

Suddenly a shout came from the main gates. Deb run towards the gates and see Dakota grabbing a boy into the camp. "He's injured," replies Dakota.

Deb looks at him for a few minutes before saying, "Paula, take him into the medical room. I'll deal with him shortly."

Paula nods her head and helps him up. They walk silently into the lodge and Paula lays him down. "Everything will be alright."

"Yeah, I guess."

"So what brings you here," asks Paula as she is looking for some medicine.

"Oh you know, coming here and staying as a scout until Beelzebub's army attacks this camp and kills everything in here. Just doing my job."

Paula stays frozen for several seconds before lunging for the small knife by the boxes but the boy grabs her swiftly and presses a knife onto her neck.

"One sudden movement and this whole camp is gone."

"Why? Why are you doing this?"

"Because I can sweetie. Don't we all have a choice in doing what we want."

"Depends on what you're doing."

The boy shakes his head and turns her around so he can see her. "Paula, think about this. You're going against a highly trained fallen angel who is destroying mankind already. What chance do you have against him. Your friends are already walking into a trap in Chicago. You think Beelzebub wouldn't know that they would try that? This world will end with infected running amok."

"You don't know that. You only chose his side because you're weak and afraid."

"Afraid of dying, yes. But I am never weak. I have endured things that you couldn't possibly even imagine. "

Paula glares at him and gets out of his grip, slamming her elbow into his stomach.

"I thought you could endure that," she says sharply as he gasps for air. 

Paula slams her shoe into his face sending him crashing into the bed. She grabs his arm and twists it. He roars as he snatches her hair and pulls her back. Paula scratches his face, digging her nails into his skin. He lets go and pushes her back. He unsheathes a dark looking dagger and grins.

"You should've just let me kill you. Now it will be your doing that this camp will cease to exist."

Paula flings her shoe at him, giving her the perfect moment to kick the dagger away from him. She shoves some boxes onto him and runs out of the room. He roars and follows her. Just as she reaches the door she is tackled by him. Several campers see the fight and rush to help her.

He grabs her and roughly picks her up. 

Everyone stops. Paula stops struggling and the boy grins.

"You'll all perish with everyone else."

Deb shakes her head. "And you think that it'll keep you safe? You're just like us but a judas."

"I'm not a judas! I do this for all descendants. The humans don't understand nor will they."

"You are human yourself."

Deb takes a step but the boy presses the knife closer to Paula's neck.

"Don't try me, woman. I'm not afraid of killing anybody."

"Right. Destroying a camp full of kids that are the same as you. How do you even know that you're protected from the demons?"

"Beelzebub will keep me safe from the demons."

"How? Don't you understand you're being used."

He was about to say something but Paula pulls a spray from her pocket and sprays his face. She punches his face and shoves him down. Several campers tackle him and he shouts as they try to pry the knife out of his hand.

"You're going to have a lot of fun with us, judas."

He snarls at them and shouts, "I will have my revenge on a specific descendant! They can't hide  for long!"

Deb pulls out a syringe and jams it into the boy's arm. He stops struggling and falls asleep.

Paula is getting treated by several nurses as Deb looks at the traitor. "I can't believe after all these years that a descendant would go over to their side."

Paula sees something slide across Deb's face.