Chapter 27-Lock and Key

Dave wakes up and hears a knock on the door. He clumsily gets up and opens it.

Paula asks, "Can I come in?"

"What for?"

"I need to talk to you about something important."

Dave sighs but opens the door for her.

"What is it Paula?"

"I was looking at your body structure and there are some things in your blood cells that need to be taken it out which means—"

"Which means what?"

Paula takes a deep breath and says, "Until we figure out what these things are, you'll have to stay here."

Dave shakes his head and says, "No. Check again, there can't be anything there."

"Deborah says to stay put Dave. You wouldn't want to disobey Joshua would you."

"But what is it then?"

"W-what?"

"There's something in me right. Then what is it? Or do you don't know?"

"I-I do know. I-It's called—"

"She's lying," replies Angelica.

"What?! No I'm not!"

"Really? Because your vital signs are rising very high. Heart's pumping a little bit faster than usual and you're slowly sweating."

Paula bites her lips and Dave walks up to her and slowly says, "What it going on?"

One of the lions roar and Dave turns around. He looks out the window and sees archers in the trees, arrows pointing his way.

"It's a trap. They're trying to stop you, says Angelica.

"What's going on in there, says Paula's device.

Dave grabs it and says, "You won't stop me."

The person is silent but then speaks. "You can't go. Joshua is going to handle the situation."

"But he promised!"

"Did he Dave? Did he really promise?"

Dave slams his fist on the counter and grabs his stuff.

"We're going, whether you guys like it or not."

Suddenly an arrow crashes through the window, releasing a gas in the cabin. Dave puts his stuff by the door and opens it.

"Now!"

Arrows fly towards him and he swings the door back.

"You can't go out there Dave. They're waiting for you."

"Let them try, come on guys."

The gas is choking Dave and watering his eyes. He tries to stand up but can't. Paula opens the door and looks back. She shakes her head and leaves. The lions come close to Dave.

"Dave, press our noses."

Dave looks around blindly, gas filling the whole cabin. He tries to speak but only makes him cough. He can't get up as the gas makes him drowsy.

"Hurry Dave."

Dave feels both of them and touches their noses. He presses them and nothing happens.

"What's going on in there," asks Deborah.

"We gassed the place," replies Dakota smiling.

"He should be knocked out by now."

Suddenly two great roars fill the air. Two giant lions burst through the cabin, with Dave on the golden's one back. They both shake the debris off their backs. The lions look at them and Dave rubs his eyes. He looks at Deborah before shouting, "To the gate!"

It takes a moment for Deborah to shout orders as the spear men looks at them with surprise. Dave struggles to hang on, his bag in the mouth of the golden lion. "Get them," shouts Dakota.

"Don't hurt them," replies Dave as the silver lion plows through several spear men. Angelica is in Dave's shirt pocket and giving Deborah a big grin. Deborah shouts as arrows whiz past them.

"Don't let the through the gates!"

The guards try to fight but the silver lion swipes them away as the golden lion jumps over the gate. The silver lion does the same. The guards moan as they get up and watch the lions run down the hill.

"We have to go after them," shouts Dakota running towards the gates.

"No Dakota. They're gone now and that's that. It's up to Dave to do the right thing now."