Chapter Fourty Two: Going Home

Several days had passed and Gary's prognosis remained the same.  Kwang Soo stayed with him as long as he could but eventually he too had to go back home. 

Work helped Ji Hyo divert her mind away from Gary, at least in the day but at night it was very hard on her.  She grew very restless, worried about her boyfriend.  Each day, Ji Hyo waited for the call from the doctor that Gary had finally woken up.  Her health began to weaken as she stressed herself out by worrying and not eating regularly.  It was obvious each time she went to the set to film Running Man and Emergency Couple that her mind was elsewhere. 

Meanwhile at the hospital, Gary bills were beginning to pile up.  Ji Hyo secretly had been paying Gary's hospital expenses.  She wanted to make sure he got the best care and treatment. 

After a long week of filming two shows, Ji Hyo was getting ready to just rest and relax over the weekend.  Kwang Soo decided to visit her on Friday night to see how she was holding up.  When he arrived at her apartment, he noticed Ji Hyo's eyes were puffy.  She had been crying endlessly since she got home. 

"Oh Kwang Soo...what are you doing here?" Ji Hyo sobbingly said.

Kwang Soo went inside her apartment and closed the door.

"Noona...I'm worried about you."

Ji Hyo went to the couch and sat down. 

"I can't help it...nothing has changed...the doctor says he is still in a coma....it's been a long time now...will he ever wake up?" she said.

Kwang Soo sat next to Ji Hyo.

"Noona...you have to have faith...don't give up hope now....he needs you more than ever."

"I'm trying to be strong but my heart hurts...I think of him all the time...I see him where ever I go...I miss him so much..."

Kwang Soo pulled Ji Hyo close to him and hugged her like a mother holding a child who is hurt.  He tried his best to comfort her.

"Noona, he will come back to you...I have faith that he will not leave you like this...you two are meant to be together...so hang in there a little longer."

Back in Macau, Gary was being taken cared of by a young nurse intern.  After weeks of being in the hospital, Gary finally came out of his coma.  He was very weak but alert. 

"Ji Hyo." was the first word that came out of his mouth. 

The nurse intern immediately called in the doctor.  The doctor began to check Gary's vital signs.  Everything seemed good.  Gary suddenly looked at the doctor and asked him where was Ji Hyo?  The doctor explained to Gary that he had been in a coma for several weeks and that Kwang Soo and Ji Hyo were here but due to commitments back home they were forced to return home. 

"Mr. Kang, since you are just coming out from a coma, we will not perform the second half of your head surgery until two days from now..."

The doctor had to explain to Gary that when they performed the first surgery he developed complications, including a fever and then a coma.  It was too dangerous for them to perform the rest of the surgery due to these conditions so they postponed the rest of the surgery until he got better.

"Everything looks good so far...if this continues for the next two days, then we will go ahead and proceed to schedule you for surgery....but for now just relax and if there is anything you need, just ask the nurse...glad to see you are up and alert,"  the doctor said happily.  He then left Gary in the care of the nurse intern, while he stepped out of the room to check on his other patients.  Due to his very busy schedule, the doctor had forgotten to contact Ji Hyo.