The Surgery (Continued)

Gary was shocked that Ji Hyo did not recognize him.

"Ji Hyo, it's me Gary oppa."

She looked at him again and for the life of her she just couldn't recognize him. Just then the doctor walks in.

"Oh, I see our patient is awake...how are you feeling?"

Gary interrupted and said, "Doctor she doesn't know who I am." This puzzled the doctor so she started asking Ji Hyo some questions.

"Ji Hyo, do you know who I am?"

"Yes...your the doctor taking care of me."

"Good...can you tell me who are the people in this room?"

"The woman standing next to you is my mom...the tall man standing next to her is Kwang Soo...the woman behind you is the nurse."

Ji Hyo turns to Gary. The doctor looks at Ji Hyo and asks her, "do you know who this person is?"

"No," Ji Hyo said.

Gary stumbled back, heartbroken that she didn't know who he was. This agitated Ji Hyo because it seems that she was expected to know who Gary was.

Seeing how frustrated and irritated Ji Hyo was not recognizing Gary, the doctor told Ji Hyo that it was alright and that she should just rest for now. Then she told the nurse to check on her vital signs while she steps outside with Ji Hyo, Gary and Kwang Soo to explain to them what has happened.

"Kwang Soo," Ji Hyo said.

"Please don't go...will you stay with me for a little longer?"

Gary was shocked and hurt that she asked Kwang Soo and not him to stay behind. Kwang Soo looked at Gary but he didn't know what to say. The doctor told Kwang Soo that for now it would be best that he stayed behind. It would keep Ji Hyo calm and keep her mind at ease that everything will be okay.

Once outside, the doctor explained to Ji Hyo's mom and Gary that their was a setback during the operation. Ji Hyo had all the symptoms of appendicitis when she came tot he hospital. Her appendix ruptured after she was admitted to the hospital, that's why they had to do surgery on her right away. Unfortunately, when her appendix ruptured, their were some complications during the surgery. It became life threatening to continue the surgery as she began to develop a high fever. For her to move forward with completing the surgery, JI Hyo's temperature needs to drop to a normal level or else the surgery could be fatal for her.

Ji Hyo's mom understood and thanked the doctor for everything she is doing to help her daughter get better. What Ji Hyo's mom didn't know was that her daughter could be pregnant with Gary's baby. Gary helped Ji Hyo's mom sit down in a chair, while he pulled the doctor to the side and explained to her that Ji Hyo's didn't know about Ji Hyo's other possible condition.

"Doctor, were you able to find out the results of the other test?"

"You mean the pregnancy test?"

"Please doctor, please don't say it out loud as Ji Hyo's mom knows nothing about it."

The doctor told Gary," I'm sorry Mr. Kang but Ji Hyo asked me to keep the results of that test confidential....until I get further instructions from her, I cannot let you know the outcome of that test."

Gary was hit with another devastating blow that day. First, Ji Hyo not recognizing who he was and now this, not being able to find out if Ji Hyo is carrying his child or not. It was too much for him.

The doctor did provide him with an explanation as to why Ji Hyo did not recognize him. She explained that Ji Hyo had a mild allergic reaction to the anesthetic that was administered to her, which caused her to lose part of her memory.

"But doctor, why is it she could recognize her mom and Kwang Soo but not me?" Gary asked.

The doctor replied by saying, "It might relate to something stressful she is going through with her life...I'm not sure...but somehow, she is able to still recognize people who are important in her life right now...that is just my opinion....give her time...as I said it is just a temporary loss...."

"Doctor, how long will it take her to regain her full memory?" Gary asks.

"I am not 100% sure but if she can grasps something (like a picture or a special object that has special meaning to her) that will help her recall certain people or events it could help her to regain her memory faster."

Gary understood and he thanked the doctor for everything she has done to help JI Hyo get better.  The doctor then excused herself as she had other patients to look after.  She told them she would be back later to check in on Ji Hyo but for now there is really nothing they can do but wait until her fever goes down so she can go back to complete her surgery.

After the doctor left to check on her other patients, Gary and Ji Hyo's mom went back into the room to see how Ji Hyo was doing.  As Gary came closer to the bed, he immediately noticed that Ji Hyo was holding Kwang Soo's hand. Kwang Soo noticed that Gary was not happy.

"Hyung, it's not what you think...she just grabbed my hand and wouldn't let go of it."

Gary trying to fight hurt and jealousy turned to face Ji Hyo.

"You don't remember me now but in time I will help you to remember what we had together...I won't leave your side...I will be hear to help you get through this."

Ji Hyo's mom was touched to see how caring Gary was to her daughter.  She hoped that things do work out for the best for the two of them.  Kwang Soo told Gary that he will take Ji Hyo's mom to her house so she can refresh herself and rest a bit before Ji Hyo goes back to surgery. 

"That's a good idea," said Gary.  I'll stay hear with Ji Hyo in case she needs something.  Kwang Soo was trying to release Ji Hyo's grip on him when she suddenly started to stir in her bed.  When he forcefully removed her hand from his, she immediately woke up.

"Kwang Soo...what's happening...where are you going?"

"Noona, I am going to take your mom to your house so she could refresh herself for a little while from traveling from her home to here....She also needs to eat and rest a bit before coming back to the hospital to spend the night with you...You won't be alone, Gary oppa will be here to take care of you in case you need something."

Gary takes hold of her hand and says, "Don't worry Ji Hyo, I won't leave you...everything will be okay."

Ji Hyo takes her hand away from Gary and grabs Kwang Soo's hand instead.

"Kwang Soo, couldn't he take my mom home while you stay with me?"  Ji Hyo's mom was shocked by her actions and was just about to say something to her daughter, when Gary stepped in.

"It's okay...Kwang Soo can stay and I will take care of Ji Hyo's mom," Gary said solemly.

"Hyung, she didn't mean it...remember she has a temporary memory loss of you...don't take it to heart...I know she still cares for you..."

Gary was too sad to even listen to what Kwang Soo had to say. Before leaving the room, he turned back to look at Ji Hyo.  His eyes were fixated on her hand holding on to Kwang Soo's.  He looked down, turned around and closed the door behind him.

Gary informed the cast and crew that Ji Hyo will need to take a week or two off from work as to recover from surgery for complications relating to appendicitis.  They thanked Gary for keeping them informed.

Ji Hyo's fever finally went down a day after she had her first surgery.  She was given the okay to proceed with the second surgery.  After the success of the second surgery, Ji Hyo was ready to recover in the comfort of her home.  She was released from the hospital two days after the second surgery.  At her request and to Gary's dismay, Kwang Soo took her home to recover.