Chapter Thirty Eight: The Surgery

The PD for Running Man called Kwang Soo to inquire what is Ji Hyo's progress.  Kwang Soo gave an update to what is happening with Ji Hyo. He explained that they had contacted Ji Hyo's mom and they are just waiting for her arrival. 

"Once Ji Hyo's mom arrives, you and Gary will need to return to the set immediately to finish filming," the PD said.  Kwang Soo understood and relayed the message to Gary.

After speaking to the PD, Kwang Soo gets another call from Yoo Jae Suk, who is concerned with Ji Hyo's health progress.

"Oh Kwang Soo, what is happening with Ji Hyo?"

"Hyung, she is having surgery right now...we have no idea what is going on...we are waiting for the doctor to come out of the operating room."

"Kwang Soo, how is Gary holding up?"

"He is very worried...he contacted Ji Hyo's mom so we are waiting for her to come to the hospital."

"Okay...try to take care of Gary until her mom arrives....keep me informed once you hear from the doctor.."

"Will do Hyung," said Kwang Soo.

Kwang Soo went to Gary who was a wreck.  He was very worried about Ji Hyo.

"Hyung, have you heard from Ji Hyo's mom?"

"Not yet," said Gary.

"Hyung, when Ji Hyo's mom comes, we have to go back to the set to finish filming."

"No...I can't leave her...I have to be here," said Gary.

Seeing Gary's concerned facial expression, Kwang Soo asked Gary to call Ji Hyo's mom again to see how soon she can arrive at the hospital.

Gary called Ji Hyo's mom and found out that she was about ten minutes away from the hospital. 

Once Ji Hyo's mom arrived, they gave her a brief run down on what happened to her daughter.  She thanked the two men for being there for her daughter.  Kwang Soo explained to Ji Hyo's mom that they had to go back to work.  She understood and told them she will let them know what is wrong with her once she hears from the doctor.  Gary was reluctant to leave but Ji Hyo's mom reassured him that he will be the first one to call once she is out of surgery.  Ji Hyo's mom knew about Ji Hyo's feelings for Gary and just looking at Gary's face, she knew that Gary felt the same way about her daughter.  She grabbed both Gary's hand, gently squeezed them and looked him in the eyes, gave him a kind smile, then nodded her head a couple of times to reassure him not to worry.  He looked at her kind eyes and bowed politely to her before leaving with Kwang Soo to go back to work.

Once they arrived on the set of Running Man, everyone could clearly see how worried Gary and Kwang Soo were about Ji Hyo.  In fact the whole cast and crew were very concerned about her but they had to finish filming for the day as it was costing the production company a lot of money every time they delayed filming for an episode. 

After they were done filming, Gary receives a phone call from Ji Hyo's mom.  Kwang Soo drives Gary to the hospital.  The cast and crew told Kwang Soo and Gary to send their well wishes to Ji Hyo for a speedy recovery and that they will come to visit her once she is feeling better.

Kwang Soo dropped Gary in front of the hospital, while he looked for parking.  Gary rushed inside to where Ji Hyo's mom was waiting.  He was shocked to find her crying. 

Gary bows in front of JI Hyo's mom and says, "Oh umma, what has happened?"  Since, her daughter has talked a great deal about Gary, Ji Hyo's mom has gotten to know him very well though she seldom sees him.  She wasn't offended when Gary informally called her umma.

Ji Hyo's mom stopped crying long enough to tell him that she is out of surgery for now but she will have to go back later. 

"Where is she, umma?" Gary asked.

"She's resting in the intensive care room, down the hall," Ji Hyo's mom said.

After parking the car, Kwang Soo was able to meet JI Hyo's mom and Gary and accompany them to the IC room.  When they got to the room, there was a nurse putting an IV needle on Ji Hyo's arm.  After the nurse hanged the IV bag on the stand, she checked Ji Hyo's vital signs, hooked her up to a monitoring machine and adjusted her bed until she knew her patient was resting comfortably.  When she came out of the room, Ji Hyo's mom asked the nurse if her daughter was okay.  The nurse told her that for now her daughter is resting comfortably but she will need to talk to the doctor to find out more information regarding her condition.  She apologized to JI Hyo's mom for the doctor not being there to answer any of her questions.  The nurse explained that after Ji Hyo's surgery, the doctor had another surgery case to do.  The nurse did allow them to briefly visit Ji Hyo until the doctor arrives. 

Before Kwang Soo and Gary went in to see Ji Hyo, her mom went in by herself to check on her daughter.  A little later she quietly came out and told the two men that they could now go in. 

"Hyung, why don't you go in first...I will accompany Ji Hyo's mom to the cafeteria to get something to eat and drink."

Kwang Soo looked at Ji Hyo's mom and she knew what his intentions were (to give Gary some privacy time).  She agreed with Kwang Soo and together they headed off to the cafeteria, leaving Gary some alone time to be with the woman he loves.

Gary quietly walks inside the room.  With a heavy heart, Gary slowly walks towards Ji Hyo who was sleeping soundly, despite being hooked up to an IV bag and a Monitoring machine.  He gently and sweetly kissed her forehead and then took hold of her right hand.

"JI Hyo...if anything happened to you...I don't know what I would do....you mean so much to me...my life was empty before I met you...but now it is full of life ..after my last relationship, I never thought I would be able to love again...you helped heal a wound that I carried for a long time...please get better...I can't lose you...not now...not ever."

A tear came down Gary's eye and dropped onto Ji Hyo's hand.  Ji Hyo began to moan. 

Gary quickly whispered said, "Ji Hyo...it's me Kang Gary...I'm here..."

Ji Hyo was slowly starting to wake up.  Just then Kwang Soo and Ji Hyo's mom came in the room.  Gary excitedly told them that Ji Hyo was starting to wake up. Kwang Soo and Ji Hyo's mom stood to the opposite side of the bed from where Gary was standing. When Ji Hyo finally opened her eyes, she recognized her mom immediately.

"Oh....umma.... what are you doing here?"

Ji Hyo's mom briefly explained to her what happened.  Though weak and groggy from the anesthesia, she understood what her mom explained to her.  Then Kwang Soo came to the side of her bed and stood next to Ji Hyo's mom.

"Kwang Soo, how long have you been here?...I'm so glad to see you."

Kwang Soo was very happy to see that Ji Hyo was awake and alert as she slowly recovers from surgery.

"Noona...you had us worried...how are you feeling?"

"Tired... but okay."

"The cast and crew from Running Man wanted me to send you their well wishes for a speedy recovery...they were very worried and concerned about you...but I will let them know that you are feeling better, " Kwang Soo said.

"Thank you, Kwang Soo...please tell them not to worry....I hope to be back to work soon."

Just then she heard someone say, "No...your health and well being is more important than work...you need to rest and fully recover before going back to work..." 

She looked at her mom and then Kwang Soo, who had a big grin on his face.  Ji Hyo turned to the other side of the bed to see who was talking to her.  Gary who had a huge grin on his face, looked lovingly in her eyes.

She frowned and looked annoyingly back at him and said, "Who are you?"