Chapter Seventeen: Breakup

Her eyes began to water and her mouth was quivering from the initial shock that Gary was with another woman, when he was seeing her. She stood there staring at the TV for a few seconds, when she finally got the remote control and turned the TV on. Her head was down as she quietly said, "please leave."

It was a very awkward moment for Kwang Soo but he felt he needed to speak up.

"Noona, please give him a chance to explain...you two can talk in your room privately...please Noona.."

She refused to even look at Gary at this moment so why would she talk to him? Kwang Soo was very insistent and led the couple into her room, then he closed the door for privacy. He couldn't leave Gary because he drove and he didn't want people to know that Gary was alone with Ji Hyo.

Kwang Soo kept himself busy by watching TV. He didn't want them to think he was listening in to their conversation so he made the volume louder to drown out what was happening next door.

"Ji Hyo, I'm so sorry...it's not what you think...I love you!"

Ji Hyo was having a hard time breathing. She put her pain, hurt and anger aside as she turned to face him.

"Oppa, I loved you so much...and to see this...you, with someone else...how can you say you love me?...how can you stand in front of me and still say this?" A single tear fell from the corner of her eye.

"Ji Hyo...I can explain...please..."

She couldn't control the tears that were now flowing down heavily from her eyes. She began to cover her face with her hands. As she was wiping away her tears, she told Gary, "I can't be with someone who I can't trust..."

"No, Ji Hyo," said Gary as he grabbed her, put his arms around her and hugged her. "Please don't say that....I love you, only you!" Gary's face was touching hers and he could feel the hot tears flowing down her face. He loosened his embrace from her and looked at her with such sadness and love. Ji Hyo could not face him, so she looked to the side when Gary grabbed hold of her face. Gary gently put his hands on the sides of her cheeks and began to kiss her forehead, eyes, tears and lips. He was trying desperately to show her how much he loves her but it didn't have any affect on her. She was too hurt with what she saw on TV. She was rigid when he embraced and kissed her. He finally stopped kissing her when she wasn't responding to his affection.

When Gary released her from his embrace, she turned around and with her back facing Gary told him, "it's over...we're no longer together."

Gary felt a million arrows hitting his heart at this moment. He couldn't believe she was breaking up with him that he collapsed on the floor on his knees. His head was down and his hands were on his head as he was shaking it.

"No...no, please don't say that...I'm so sorry...please, Ji Hyo..."

Ji Hyo turned around and went down on her knees to face him. She gently put her hands on his chin, slowly lifted it up and in a sad and lovingly way said, "if you truly love me, please let me go." With those last words, she got up and went to the door and opened it. She asked Kwang Soo to come in and take Gary home.

Kwang Soo turned the TV off and went in Ji Hyo's room. He was lost for words when he saw Gary Hyung on his knees in her room with his head down. When Kwang Soo turned to look at Ji Hyo, she avoided his glance and looked the other way. Kwang Soo understood and went to Gary. He put his hand on Gary's arm and said, "Hyung, let's go now." Gary was so sad and hurt that Ji Hyo just broke up with him that he refused to leave.

"Please hyung, we need to go."

Gary eventually listened to Kwang Soo and got up from the floor. Ji Hyo was still standing next to to the door and holding it when Gary stopped in front of her. Without looking at her and with his head still down, he softly made one last futile attempt to apologize.

"Ji Hyo, I'm so sorry for hurting you like this...I didn't mean to...I won't stop loving you." With his heart broken into a million pieces, Gary somberly left Ji Hyo's apartment. Ji Hyo collapsed on her knees and began sobbing uncontrollably.

Once they got in Kwang Soo's car, Gary put his hands up to cover his face and began sobbing. Kwang Soo put his arms around Gary and told him, "Hyung, it will be okay."

He then drove Gary home.