Chapter Thirty Seven: At the Hospital

Gary was speechless when he found out that he could be the father of Ji Hyo's baby.

"Hyung, are you okay?"

Gary was still in shock that Ji Hyo could be pregnant and that he was the father.

"Ugh...Kwang Soo...I..I don't know what to say...why...why...didn't she tell me...is that why she hasn't been feeling well lately?"

“That’s something you two will have to talk about,” said Kwang Soo.

Just then Ji Hyo started to squirm in bed.  She started moaning, so Kwang Soo went to the door and called for the nurse.

The nurse came in and asked the two men to step outside while they take her vital signs.

Gary was in a daze as he stepped outside.  Seeing how shocked Gary looked, Kwang Soo helped him sit down in a chair.

Gary told Kwang Soo, “I would never do anything to hurt her…you know that Kwang Soo but why, why couldn’t she tell me this?”

“Maybe she didn’t know how to tell you, hyung.”

Gary covers his eyes and bends down saying, “I can’t believe this happening…I can’t believe she kept this from me?”  He was elated that he could be a father but at the same time angry that Ji Hyo didn’t tell him sooner.

“I loved her so much but she kept her distance from me….so I decided to let her go…but this other person came into my life and she reminded me so much of Ji Hyo, that I couldn’t help but fall for her…if I had known that Ji Hyo was carrying our child, I wouldn’t had done what I did…but I didn’t know….really…I didn’t know,” Gary said tearfully.

Kwang Soo put his hand on Gary’s shoulder.

“Hyung, don’t do this to yourself…I don’t think she knew herself…it was a surprise to her too.”

Suddenly the nurse stepped outside the door.

“Are you family,” she asked.

Gary immediately said, “Yes.”

The nurse told Gary if he could contact her mother as she was asking for her.  Gary knew how to contact Ji Hyo’s mom and immediately called her to come to the hospital. 

Then he asked the nurse, “Is she okay? How long will she be in the hospital?”

The nurse told him that she is resting comfortably for now but she has been experiencing a lot of abdominal pains and that she was starting to have a fever, so their monitoring her right now to make sure the fever doesn’t escalate. 

“By the way, which one of you is Gary?” asked the nurse.

The nurse did not realize that she was talking to celebrities as she was very naïve in regards to television programs.

“I am,” Gary said.

“She kept moaning your name as I was taking her vital signs.”

“May I go see her right now?” asks Gary.

“Yes, but just for a moment…she is still groggy from the medicine we gave her to ease her pain…she needs her rest.”

Gary quietly entered the room alone.  Ji Hyo was peacefully resting.  He came by her side and gently held her hand.

Feeling his gentle hand holding hers, Ji Hyo started to wake up.  She was drowsy but could recognize who was in the room with her.

“Gary oppa,” she said.

Earlier he was angry with her for not telling him about her condition but seeing her helpless in bed, he decided he was not going to stress her out by questioning her why she didn’t tell him about her possible pregnancy.

“I’m here Ji Hyo…you will be okay…the nurse and doctor are taking good care of you…I called your mom…she is on her way….just rest…Kwang Soo is here too but he is waiting outside.”

Although groggy from the medication she received, Ji Hyo was able to comprehend what Gary had just told her.  She mustered enough energy to squeeze his hand to let him to know that she was glad that he was there by her side.

Gary in return gently squeezed her hand back to let her know that he will always be there for her no matter what.  With a slight smile on her face, Ji Hyo slowly went back to sleep.  She felt comforted knowing that he was near her.  Gary gently brushed a few strands of hair away from Ji Hyo’s face as he adoringly looked at the mother of his child.  Just the thought that they could be parents put a smile on his face.

A few minutes later, the doctor came in with the results of her tests.  Ji Hyo was now fully asleep, so the doctor asked Gary to come outside the room.  Gary gently put Ji Hyo’s hand down, kissed her on the forehead and stepped outside the room to talk to the doctor.  Once he was outside the door, he took a quick peak just to make sure she was fine before closing the door behind him.

The doctor told Gary and Kwang Soo that Ji Hyo will need to stay overnight at the hospital so they may do some more tests on her.  Their were some irregularities or abnormalities in the results of her earlier blood tests.  

Gary and Kwang Soo looked at each other with great concern.

Gary asked, “Will she be okay?”

“We don’t know yet, that’s why we are doing more tests on her."

Just then, a nurse came running towards the doctor and Gary.  The doctor told Gary and Kwang Soo to stay outside while she quickly went in to check on Ji Hyo.  Kwang Soo had to hold Gary back as he desperately wanted to go in the room to see what was happening.

"Hyung, you can't be in there...they are doing everything they can...just wait here...she's in good hands."

Gary banged the wall. 

"I can't lose her Kwang Soo...I can't...she means everything to me...why is this happening...why?"

"Hyung, don't say that...she'll be fine."

As Kwang Soo was trying to calm Gary down and reassure him that everything was going to be okay, a couple of male nurses pushing a gurney came running towards them.

Both men were shocked as they entered Ji Hyo's room.

Gary who was in a panic said, "Oh, what's happening?!"

Suddenly Gary and Kwang Soo could see Ji Hyo lying on the gurney with a look of excruciating pain.  You could see her face perspiring.  As she was being wheeled out of the room, Gary could hear her moan, "Gary... Gary oppa..."

Kwang Soo again had to grab Gary who by this time was getting ready to bolt to be with Ji Hyo. He was going crazy.  He wanted to help her but didn't know how.  He felt helpless.

The doctor quickly came out and told Kwang Soo and Gary that an emergency came up and that she needed to take care of it right away.  Once she stabilizes Ji Hyo, she will come back out and give them the news what happened.  Then she turned around but Gary grabbed her hand.

"Wait, where are you taking her?"

"Sir, please let go..."

"Please doctor, where is she?"

"We're prepping her for surgery....please let go.."

Gary immediately released the doctor's hand as he collapsed on his knees to the floor when hearing the news that Ji Hyo was going through surgery.

Meanwhile in the operating room, Ji Hyo was given local anesthesia.  They had a difficult time holding her down as she kept moaning Gary's name and saying, "my baby, my baby..."

"Ji Hyo...you're going to go to sleep now...everything will be fine...close your eyes and count backwards from ten..."

She started counting 10, 9..."Gary....saranghe..."