Chapter Twenty Five: Hope

"Noona, what happened?...Are you okay?"

Ji Hyo didn't hear Kwang Soo as her mind wandered back at what had just happened to her.  A rush of mix emotions came over her.  Feeling shock, disbelief, angry, ashamed that the man she loved would take advantage of her like that.  She was sick to her stomach that she just sat quietly in the passengers seat, staring blankly outside the window.

Before Kwang Soo dropped her off at her apartment, Ji Hyo told him that she will be taking some time off from work because she was not feeling well.  He dropped her off in the front of her apartment and then he went back to his apartment.

"Hyung, what did you do to her?"

Gary couldn't answer Kwang Soo. He was angry at himself for attacking Ji Hyo.  He had been an emotional wreck since they broke up.  Seeing her with someone else only made him crazy.  He wanted her back in his life..he missed her...he loved her.  Gary jeopardized his chances of mending or reconciling his relationship with Ji Hyo.

"Why did I do that to her?...it's not like me...I'm so ashamed at myself for taking advantage of her...why, why, why...what's wrong with me?!"

Kwang Soo grabbed Gary hyung's arms.

"Hyung, what happened here tonight?"

Kwang Soo looked around his apartment to see if anything was askew, when suddenly he saw the door to his bedroom open.  He let go Gary's arm, went inside his room and noticed that the sheets on his bed were in disarray.  Kwang Soo was very protective of Ji Hyo who was like an older sister to him.  If anyone hurted her, they would have to answer to him.  He went back out to his living room

"Hyung, what happened tonight?...Did you hurt her?...She was crying when I took her home."

"Kwang Soo...I...I'm sorry for.."

Without finishing his sentence, Kwang Soo knew what he was about to say.  He punched Gary on the face.  Gary fell to the floor.  He put his left hand on his cheek, as Kwang Soo lectured him.

"Hyung, how could you do that to her?  She was never ever interested in anyone else when she met you...I told you to give her time to think things through...but now, after tonight I don't think you will ever be able to fix your relationship with her...she loved you, hyung....she never stopped loving you."

Gary went to Kwang Soo and apologized to him for his bad behavior towards their mutual friend, but Gary's love interest, Ji Hyo.  He didn't retaliate when Kwang Soo punched him in the face.  Gary knew he deserved that punch and more. 

"Kwang Soo, I made a huge error in judgment tonight and now I have to live with the consequence."

"Hyung, I don't condone what you did to Ji Hyo and I am angry that you hurt her but I know you have been struggling to move on with your life since you guys broke up but that's no excuse for what happened here tonight...I know how much you love her but forcing her to come back to you is not the answer...and after tonight, she might not want you back ever again."

Kwang Soo and Gary talked things through and their friendship remained intact.  He walked out of Kwang Soo's apartment with his head down, full of shame.  He knew what he did was wrong, regretted it and now must live with the consequences. 

Instead of heading back home, Gary stopped by a bar and took a few drinks.  Afterwards, he went back to his truck and called Ji Hyo via her home number. She didn't pick up but he left a message saying how sorry he was about tonight.  In fact he left several apologetic messages on her answering machine as well as text messages on her cell phone.  Of all the text messages he sent, the last two were the most significant ones.

To: Ji Hyo

Message:  I am deeply, deeply sorry for hurting you tonight.  I was wrong for taking advantage of you.  I hope one day you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I've caused so much pain and misery in your life, I don't deserve to live.  You should be with someone who is more honorable than I am. 

From: Gary

Although Ji Hyo ignored Gary's futile attempts to apologize to her on the phone and through text messages, she did take a look at the last couple of text messages he left her on her cell phone.  Besides the message he left her above, he wrote one more below that made Ji Hyo want to think more about her relationship with Gary.

To: Ji Hyo

Message: With your love, the sun shines brightly on the earth, the ocean is calm and serene, beautiful flowers cover the once desolate meadow....my life has meaning and purpose, my heart is filled with joy and happiness...Without your love, the days are dark and gloomy, I am drowning in a world of sorrow, my heart is empty yet heavy, I walk the path of unrighteousness, roam the earth lost and confused, life has no meaning, life has no purpose, I am nothing...

From: Gary

Ji Hyo was in bed when she read the last two text messages.  She remembered how Gary opened up to her about how tough his life was growing up.  Where most women would be angry beyond words after just being raped, she was not.  Her heart softened as she read his last text message to her.  He hurt her, its true but deep down in her heart, she still loved him.

Gary went in his apartment and immediately took a shower.  He wanted to forget this night ever happened.  He was angry with himself, felt guilty and ashamed that he wronged her.  As he was getting ready to go to bed, he receives a text message.

To: Gary

Message:  You are something, your life has meaning and purpose, you will never walk alone...I forgive you....

From: Ji Hyo

Gary immediately text her back.

To: Ji Hyo

Message:  I'm deeply, deeply sorry about tonight.  In time, will you allow me to see you again?

From: Gary

She replied.

To: Gary

Message:  I am going away for a few days to think things through.

From: Ji Hyo

Before Gary could respond, she sent one final text message to him.

To: Gary

Message:  Saranghae...good night...

From: Ji Hyo

Gary was stunned, yet elated as he sent his final text to her.

To: Ji Hyo

Message:  I will wait for you to return...Saranghae...good night...

From: Gary