Chapter 26

(Recap)

“Huh, and all this happened while I was passed out?” I asked really not trusting anybody.

I couldn’t stay here any longer, this looking over my shoulder all the time wasn’t working out. Sure I was used to be being hunted, but this was kind of ridiculous. It kind of felt like I was put in an arena to fight to the death but the fighters were all invisible and as soon as I let my guard down, they would pounce on me and take my head.

I walked to the closet and grabbed my dress with the red cape draped over it. As soon as I touched it, I had gotten a sinking feeling that this wasn’t going to end well, especially for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 26

After we had gotten ready and I was in my dress, high heels slung over my shoulder, we snuck down stairs. Our capes covered our faces as we made our way to the car in the covered garage. Jack was talking to his parents telling them that he had to go to the fair because he was on tech duty with the lights or something like that.

As I passed the dining room, I peered out the window to see my house for the first time since I had last been there nearly two days ago. Half the house was shot up and there were cops everywhere. They roamed the streets with dogs sniffing for clues. I was kind of surprised to see this many cops here. I mean it had been two days after the incident and I was expecting a lot less cops to be out on the road, then again, from what I had gathered from Hunter and Jessica this was actually a lot less than what it had been on the initial night of the attack.

I watched as a guy walked away from the house towards the woods and a familiar black shadow walked towards him, just out of sight of the humans. So there were hellhounds around.

I needed to dim my scent, I was pretty sure that by now the scent pills had worked it’s way out of my system seen as the last time I had taken them was when I had blown up the clinic. I forgot to grab them when we went back to the house to gather our things and bleeding out nearly half my weight in blood didn’t help the situation any less.

“Come on, before they see us.” Jessica whispered and led the way to the garage.

I slipped into the trunk of the car, making sure that the back seats where loose and it was open for me to climb through, so that I wouldn’t be caught climbing out of the trunk like some kidnapped victim.

It wasn’t long before I heard Jack climb into the car and start it up.

“Is she in there?” Jack asked Jessica. I could hear them pretty well, seen as the seat wasn’t fastened, but I never made a sound to indicate that I could, just in case they started talking and I picked something vital up.

“Yeah she’s well hidden. You sure they won’t search the trunk?” Jessica asked.

“Yeah I’m sure… sort of.” Jack said and then blasted the music.

I think he put the radio on so that they could talk but I could still hear them over the blaring music. The perks of being a Lyken.

“How long have you known?” Jack asked Jessica.

“Not long.”

“And you haven’t told me?”

“It wasn’t something you just come out and say. Besides I had promised not to tell anyone.”

“We’ve been friends since forever and you kept this from me?”

“Jack it wasn’t my secret to tell. In any case would you have believed me if I had told you?”