Chapter 53

(recap)

They said nothing more and Jake turned and walked away.

We were quiet for a while staring at where Jake had left us.

"Will he be okay?" I asked

"Honestly. No." Hunter said his lips thinned.

Hunter reached out holding my hand, giving it a gently squeeze.

"Come on." He said propping the table back up as the door and leading me to the bedroom. "You're probably tired and hungry. I'll run you a bath and get you something to eat." He said and smiled down at me. I tried smiling back but it felt like my face couldn't move, like I had no control over it.

"I'm sorry Emma. I wish there was something else I could say to make you feel better."

"It's okay Hunter, you were right. Jake had changed." I said turning around to look at the spot Jake was with a sad sigh.

————————————————————————————————————————————————- 

Chapter 53

True to his word Hunter led me to the bathroom and allowed me some privacy to wash in an actual bath for the first time in months and it felt good. I sunk in like a dead weight all the way to the bottom until the water covered me completely. The warm embrace of the water was just what I needed to feel a little bit better.

I raised my head, breaking the surface enough for me to breathe but not completely out. The water muffled the outside noise, blocking the dying shouts and the chaos outside, leaving me just with my thought and I think that, that was worse.

The scene with Jake played over and over in my head, beating me down like a tired old mat.

He didn't want to be around me, he wanted to be turned back. Should I have turned him back? Should I have killed him? He was hurting and I could do something about it? Was I selfish to say no? I didn't want to let him go when I had just gotten him back, I couldn't.  I knew that, deep down I knew I couldn't turn him back and I definitely couldn't kill him. There was just no physical way that it was possible for me to do that, not to mention emotional. What do I do?

I was so torn, on the brink of tears when Hunter burst into the room.

"Come on, we're going." He said grabbing a towel and holding it at the ready for me to get out so that he could dry me.

I had also noticed that he hadn't adverted his eyes, then again he had seen me naked but that didn't stop me from feeling a little uncomfortable.

I heard him sigh, then turn his head. "We're mates you know, this shyness is silly."

"I know what we are but I can't help how I feel. And where are we going?" I asked getting out and immediately Hunter wrapped the towel around me.

"Out." He simply said drying me and then lifted me up out of the water and I gave a surprised gasp, which didn't slow Hunter down as he carried me to the bed, where I spotted a change of clean clothes and they weren't the indoor type. I tried to peek inside his head but I had gotten nothing.

"You will not find out so easily. Now I'll leave you to get dressed." He said gently laying me down on the bed and my heart skipped a beat when his face came within inches of mine and then my heart was aching for a whole other reason.