Chapter 35: I Like It Hot

Dom's P.O.V.
Brian pulled up to a police impound lot. I looked out the windshield and passenger window, trying to avoid the officer on guard.
"502, wet reckless. I need a 48-hour hold." Brian stated as he held up his badge. The officer looked at me as I slowly turned my head.
"Out back. Any spot you can find." The officer stated.
We pulled inside the lot and Brian parked the car, and as we came out, I asked, "You sure about this?"
Brian stopped walking and looked from me, to the car, and back to me again and said, "Yeah. That last place they'll check, their own impound yard. Trust me."
We nod at one another and then start walking.
"You know, I've been thinking, when you blew up you car back there, you blew up mine, too." Brian said with a straight face, but I knew what was coming, so I questioned, "Yeah?"
"Yeah. So now you owe me a 10-second car." Brian said.
I quickly turned my head to look at him as a smirk, to see that he had the same expression, only, his smirk was bigger, I was trying to hide mine.
"Is that right?" I asked and Brian replied, "Yeah."
I found a car and slammed my elbow into the driver's window to unlock to door. As soon as I opened the door, Brian grinned as I smirk and said, "Now we're even."

Brian's P.O.V.
About a few hours later, after finding a hide out, their was a knock on the door.
"Is this your way of keeping me away from him?" Mia stated as she glanced at me while walking in the small door way.
"You're the only one I could call." I said softly as I walked behind her.
Mia turned to me and said, "He's my brother, of course."
Mia and I made our way to the back to find Don waiting. I sat in a nearby chair while Mia didn't hesitate to care for her big brother.
After Mia Took off the bandage, she inpected the wound and said, "The bullet's not in there."
I looked up from a smirking Dom to a very beautiful Mia. It's even in times like these when I think of how much of a dumb ass I was to let her slip away.
She brought her medical bag and as she opened it up on the table, she informed her brother, "I'm gonna clean it and stitch it up. It's gonna hurt."
"I bet you're going to enjoy this." Dom looked over to her and smirked. Mia slowly turned her head and put on a small smile and said, "A little."
I sat back and smiled a her. Even though she didn't look at me, it didn't hurt to just be thankful to just have her around me, like old times...

Mia's P.O.V.
After I stitched up Dom, I ordered some food. I sat and waited by the door, when I felt someone behind me.
"Mia--" I turned to find Brian looking at me with this look in his eyes. I knew that look. It was the same way I looked at him a long time ago.
I sighed as he came close and leaned up against the wall next to me.
"I just wanted to say--"
I shook my head lightly as I got up and said, "Let me stop you right there." Brian instantly shut up and looked down at me.
"I just--I just wanted to tell you that I'm thankful that you called. Dom explained what went down and he told me that you saved his life, yet again." I finished, taking intrest in the floor. I then felt a light touch underneath my chin that slowly made me look up to meet those beautiful ocean blue eyes. I didn't realise how close we were until I felt his breath on my face. Brian's face then washed over with guilt and love as he confessed in a soft low voice, "I need you to know that I never ment to hurt you and cause you pain."
I was too wrapped up in the fact that out faces were merly inches apart to answer him. His eyes then shifted down to my lips and back up again and as he started to lean closer, which made my heart race out of control, we heard a loud honk from outside.
I pulled away slightly, just to get a good look at Brian and whispered with a smirk, "Saved by the bell."
I had to leave him wanting more. It was the only way to make me feel better.
I paid for the food and then came back inside and set the table. Dom and Brian sat facing each other while I sat inbetween them.
"Want some of this?" I asked and my brother replied with, "Yeah"
"It's spicy." I warned the boys. "I like it hot." Brian said. I couldn't help but sneak a peek at him, to find him staring. Dom ignored the comment while I tried not to blush.
He might have been referring to our very steamy car stop to the beach a few years ago.
I heard a chewing noise and turned my head to my brother and question, "Dom, what are you doing? You reached first, you have to say grace."
I watched as my brother and ex exchange the same look with a smirk. We all bring our hands up to start prayer, but Dom took a long sip of his Corona which made me shoot him a 'are you serious' look. As soon as he put the bottle down, I felt another pair of eyes on me which made me close my eyes to act like I'm praying, but really, I'm just trying to calm my nerves.
"Thank you, Lord, for blessing this table." Dom started. I then continued, "With food, family, and friendship."

Nobody's P.O.V.
After dinner, Dom went into the back and started to go through a box. It had 'Letty' written on the side of it.
Mia had brought it from home to let Dom go through it. The first thing dome saw when he opened the box was a picture of him and Letty when everything was fine. Nobody died, and they were at their usual Sunday barbecue, but it was at the time the Brian was around. Dom picked up the picture and admired it for a few minutes.
Mia and Brian were still sat at the table, Mia drinking her coffee and Brian gazing at her with a smile.
"You asked me why I let Dom go." Brian stated all of a sudden, grabbing Mia's attention, making her look at him with furred eyebrows.
"I think it's because at that moment, I respected him more than I respected myself."
Mia sat their and stared at him with awe, but also confusion as to why he was telling her this now.
"Yeah." Brian grinned as he stared at the ground. His face went emotionless as he continued, "One thing I learned from Dom is that nothing really matters unless you have a code."
Mia's expression changed from a confused one, to an understanding one. She then smirked as she asked, "And what's your code, Brian?"
That few moments of silence were the moments where Brian and Mia tried to read each other.
"I'm working on it." Brian finished, causing Mia to smile, slowly and to soak in that the Brian she once fell for is still there, trying to get her attention.