We Need To Keep Her Safe!

Chrom

My blood boiled the entire trip back to Emm's room. Guards were stationed everywhere, now.

"It will take time to investigate how the assassination plot got so far. We have no leads at present," Phila said grimly.

"It was Plegia! I'm sure of it. They'd do anything for the Emblem," I snarled Emm, you can't stay here. Come to Ferox where it's safe."

Emmeryn shook her head. "And leave the people undefended? War is at our borders, Chrom. Do you expect Ylisse to stand against Plegia without a leader? The must know their exalt stands with them."

Worry filled me. "But what if something happens to you? What then?" I asked. Anna placed a hand on my forearm as if a signal for me to calm down.

"Your Grace, perhaps you might relocate to the eastern palace for the time being?" Frederick suggested. "The other kingdoms know nothing of it. You would be safer."

Gods bless you, Frederick. "Yes, please. At least that," I sighed. "I can't leave for Ferox with you right in harm's way."

Emm thought for a moment. "...Hmm. Very well."

Relief flooded through my veins. "Thanks, Emm. I mean it. We'll escort you to the palace before we head north to the border." I turned to my fiancee. "Anna, let's work out a beginning route."

Anna nodded. "Alright, let's go."

...

The entire way back to the Garrison, I clutched Anna's hand like there was no tomorrow. I won't let anyone hurt her. I won't let anyone hurt my sisters. I must protect them with my life.

Anna gave my hand a quick squeeze. "Chrom?"

My composure broke. I pulled her into a tight hug, refusing to let go. "He almost killed you..."

"Chrom...this isn't about me, this is about your sister. I'm not important right now. Think about our main goal." 

Not important. Those two words triggered something inside of me. "Shut up. Shut up, shut up, shut up!!! How many times must I tell you that you're important! HOW MANY TIMES MUST I TELL YOU?!" I yell.

She flinched at my raised tone. "C-Chrom...please, don't shout... Please. Don't get distracted from your main goal: protecting your sister," she said. "Besides, those assassins were not after me."

I hugged her tighter. "We'll, they certainly had an odd way of approaching their target!" I growled. "You could have gotten killed by that one assassin if it weren't for Gaius... I'll have to thank him later. And their leader! During our fight, he was completely focused on you! You came so close to dying today..." Tears began to fall from my eyes.

She gave up, melting into my embrace. "Well, I'm sorry! I'm sorry that people wanted to kill me! I can't control who or what wants to kill me!" she sobbed.

"Nothing will ever harm you. Not as long as I'm alive and breathing," I whispered.

"Chrom..."

After a few minutes, we pulled away. However, I still kept her in my arms. "I also want someone to keep an eye on Lissa. I don't know if there is any immediate threat towards her right now, but I want to be safe."

Anna nodded. "Yes, I think that's a good idea," she cleared her throat. "I think Lon'qu would be a good idea. He may have gynophobia, but he's the best man for the job."

"Yes, that's sounds perfect. As for Emmeryn, she'll be with us, but I want at least four guards with her at all times."

"Yeah, it's good to be cautious."

I pulled her closer. "Now as for you: you will remain by my side at all times. While we are marching, and when we stop. While we are in strategy meetings and out. And in battle, you will always stay close to me. You are to never stray away from me. That is an order."

"Wh-what!? Chrom, I don't need to be protected! I can take care of myself just fine!" She frowned, trying to struggle out of my embrace.

"Yes, I am well aware of that. But it'll put my mind more at ease to know that you're safe," I said.

She sighed. "...All right, you can protect me if it'll make your mind more at ease... Whatever it takes to lighten your load."

I nuzzled into her hair. "I will not let any harm come to you, my princess. Not now, not ever."

"I told you not to call me princess!" She smacked my chest.

I chuckled. "Hey, I'm only trying to help you. You are going to be one someday, and I'm preparing you for that day."

"Fine then, you Blueberry." She stuck her tongue out at me.

"Blueberry? Really?"

"Why not, Blueberry? It's what you are!"

I combed my hair with my hand. "I guess I am," I laughed. "See, I embraced my title, now you must embrace yours."

Her lips curved into a pout, hiding her face in my chest. "Whatever, Blueberry. I love you."

"I love you too, My Princess."