Risen

Chrom

"Stahl and Virion, you two head off to the right and take out as many Risen as you can!"

"Sully and Frederick, take to the left and do the same!"

"Lissa, keep to the rear and only come in when needed. Er, you stay with her, Vaike."

"Oh, come on!" Vaike threw up his hands in annoyance. "I can still use the weapons Naga gave me to fight!" He flexed to emphasise.

Anna glared. "My job is to make sure you don't get killed. Unless your fists have the ability to cut people like a sword, stay out of battle until you find your axe!"

Vaike groaned. "Ugghh! Chrom, help me out here!"

I chuckled and crossed my arms. "She's the tactician, Vaike. Do as she says."

"NO FAIR!!!"

Anna continued strategising. "Hmm...hopefully he finds his axe, soon. Not having an axe user is a huge drawback. Well, I'll make it work. When Miriel shows up, I'll probably have her near the rear to assist anyone who needs help..."

I smiled as she rambled on. She's doing such a good job already! She's a better tactician than I ever could have hoped for! I placed a hand on her shoulder. "What's our next move, Anna?"

She jumped at the sudden contact. "O-oh! I'm so sorry! I got distracted!" She prepared her tome. "Well, you and I are going to charge into the main offence. With our combined strengths, we'll be able to make quick work of the Risen. Once each squad is done with their section, we'll meet in the middle and combine our forces."

I nodded and unsheathed Falchion. "Alright, sounds like a plan!" I faced my Shepherds and raised my blade. "Shepherds: charge!"

Like Anna predicted: we were able to take down any foe in our path. Though we weren't fighting side-by-side, I could feel her spirit whenever I clashed blades with a Risen. Sometimes I would hear her warning to duck as she shot lightning at an enemy I was fighting, and sometimes I would come to her aid whenever an enemy would overpower her. 

I felt alive. 

Soon, everyone defeated their targets and we all came back together; Vaike and Miriel finally joining us.

"What's next, Anna? Guide our swords." I smiled at the tactician.

As Anna opened her mouth to speak, Frederick interrupted. "Might I advise patience, milord? Anna is a fine tactician," he glared at her, "but we have been working her mercilessly. Even the best of us need rest."

Ah, he's right. What was I thinking? She's working twice as hard as the rest of us. "Yes, of course. I'm sorry."

Anna frowned. "I can pull my own weight, you know. I'm not going to rest on the battlefield!"

I gave her a pleading look. "I know, but-"

She strolled past me. "I don't need or want special treatment. I'm perfectly capable of both fighting and strategising at the same time."

Did I just take a few steps back in our relationship? Dammit. "S-sorry, Anna. I didn't mean to doubt you."

She ignored me. "Everyone, there aren't that many left. We'll be able to take them out quickly. Attack!"

I took out enemy by enemy, but the adrenaline I previously felt was gone. I can't let Frederick talk down to Anna anymore. She's doing this army a great service. I have to put my absolute faith in her.

"Chrom! Watch out!" Anna blocked an incoming blow by a handaxe. 

"Ah! Thank you!" I turned to where the axe came from, and there stood a Risen larger than the others. "That must be the leader."

Anna nodded. 

"You ready?"

"As I'll ever be!"

We charged at the leader. "Chrom, you block the blows and I'll hit him with my magic!" Anna shouted.

"Got it!" I did as she said, and the Risen soon fell. "Good thinking, Anna." I turned to her. "I never meant to doubt you. I'm sorry. I'm just worried about you."

Anna sighed. "It's fine, really. I appreciate your concern, but I can handle myself."

"I know you can."

Everyone gathered back together to heal and plan our next action. "If they're appearing this far up the Northroad..." My voice trailed off.

"Then no path is safe." Frederick finished my thought. "We'll need to stay wary."

Anna nodded. "Yes, I suggest we stop here for a few hours so we can plan our next move."

"Agreed," I chimed. "Everyone, take a breather and tend to your wounds. We'll continue moving after lunch."